Chapter 13 - Thank you

After we learned together, Hiyori fell on her back. "Ah... My brain isn't working anymore..." Yukine layed on the table. "Mine neither... How can you just keep up with stuff like that, Akira...?" Yukine looked at me. I scratched the back of my head. "Well... I'm just trying to memorize them, I guess..."

I could hear a sigh from behind. Yato was sitting in a corner. "It's so boring...", he sighed once again. Hiyori sat up again and closed her textbook. "Anyways, thanks for learning with us, Akira-chan. I'm sure I'll pass the exams."

Yukine nodded. "Also thanks..." "No problem..." Hiyori looked out of the window. "It stopped raining, hasn't it?" I also looked out and saw the from the sunset, colored, orange sky. Yato stood up and opened the door. Yukine watched him. "Yato. Where are you going?" "Just catching some fresh air."

"Ah, Yato, wait!" Hiyori packed her things into her bag. "Yukine and I will have to go back home anyways." I looked at the display of my cellphone. Since it was weekend, my father would be back earlier. I also stood up. "Yeah. Me too." We walked out of the room.

Before we left, we called Kofuku and Daikoku, so that we could say goodbye. Kofuku ran as soon as we called her, towards us and gave all four of us a bear hug. "Come back, soon!" Hiyori smiled nervously. "We will. No need to worry." After she let us go, Daikoku also came. I bowed. He looked at me surprised. "Thank you for telling me, who my mother was, Daikoku." I stood up straightly, again. He just looked at me. "I am sorry for confusing you like that." I shook my head. "No, it was my fault for reacting like that..."

It was silent for a while. Suddendly he streched his hand out and patted my head. "Are you really okay?" I gasped. I didn't answer. I put on a trembling smile and looked up. "I am. Thanks for asking." Daikoku looked at me and pushed my head back down.

"Don't overdo yourself." He put his hand away. I looked up again. He was smiling. I looked at Hiyori, Yukine and Yato. They were just watching Daikoku and me. So did Kofuku. She smiled happily. I nodded. "Thank you. And see you soon." The others also said goodbye. "Goodbye, Kofuku-san, Daikoku-san." "Goodbye." "See ya." They waved at us. "See you next time."

As I got home, I closed the door behind me. I walked to the living room, to expect my father, being drunk as always. But instead of seeing him lying on the couch, he was sitting on it normally. He was reading a book. It seems like it was one of those rare days, in which he was sober.

I went to the couch on the other side of him and sat down. "Hey, father..." He answered without looking out of his book. "What is it, Akira?" I gulped.

I want to know if it's true.

"Can... Can you tell me about mother...?" He suddendly closed his book. "I already have told you everything, haven't I?"

I want to know who my mother really was.

"I... I just thought that you... Might have forgotten something..." "And what did you think what I have forgotten?" I looked into his eyes. "Who was mother?" His eyes widened for a second. "Who she was? Don't tell me you don't remember her." "I.. I do but... I meant... What was mother?"

He brutally slammed the book on the table between us. "Akira. Go up to your room." "What? But-" "Go up. Now." I clenched my fists. I stood up and ran into my room. I slammed the door behind me and leaned on it. "Father is such a moron...", I whispered. I felt something drip from my eyes.

Huh? Why am I crying...?

Suddendly I heard a voice. "I love you." "Huh?" I turned from where the voice came. I shrieked as I saw Yato. His back towards me. "Ya- Yato...? What are you-" "I always loved you since the beginning. I don't know if you feel the same, but I just wanted to say that I love you. I always did and I always will."

I blushed. "Yato... What do you..." "Kanato blushed as he heard Megumi's words. Megumi clenched her fists and waited for an answer." "Wait a second..." I walked towards Yato and saw him holding paper sheets in his hand. I got even redder. Yato turned to the next page to continue reading.

"Wow, Akira. I didn't know you are writing novels." "G-give that to me!" I tried to reach for the manuscript but Yato held it up so that I couldn't reach for it. He continued. "Kanato held Megumi in his arms." I tried to jump up but I still couldn't reach it. "He whispered tenderly in her ear:" "Gaaah, don't say it! It's embarassing!"

I held my ears so that I wouldn't hear anything and sat against my bed. I closed my eyes. As I opened them Yato was suddendly kneeling in front of me, so that we were face to face. He smiled. I put my hands away. "See? Now you're not crying anymore." "Huh...?

He was trying to cheer me up?

"No but seriously, Akira. I didn't know that you were writing books." "Ah... I just got my debut. I'm not that popular, yet..." Yato stood up. "But still... You should continue. I think the story is pretty good." "Wait... You read it?!" "Hm? Well, sorta." I sighed. "How did you even come in here...?", I pouted. He pointed at the window. I sighed. I looked up to Yato. He was grinning. "I really have to find a way how to keep that window closed..."

Thanks for cheering me up... Yato.