Chapter 24 - Don't leave me

Later school ended. I packed my stuff into my bag and went out of the school building. Suddenly I felt a drop of water dripping on my head. I looked up. Rain. Just like a few weeks ago. "Heh. This time I have an umbrella."

I took it out of my bag and opened it as suddendly someone pulled me from behind. I couldn't see who it was, since there was a hand which was covering my eyes. I just followed the person who pulled me.

Then I felt someone pushing me on the ground. I stumbeled and fell. I slowly opened my eyes just to find myself sitting on the ground, behind the school building. "Hey, don't ignore us!" I looked up. Some girls with the same school uniform. I never saw them before, though. "Who... Are you...?" One of the girls laughed. "Who we are? That's what we should ask you."

All of a sudden one of the girls kicked me in the stomach. I fell back so that I was lying on the ground. I held my stomach and coughed. "Who you think you are, bitching around Maru-chan?!" "Maru-chan...? Ah. Maru Yukisawa...!" I sat back up as another girl put her foot on my shoulder and pushed me against the wall behind me.

My head hurts...

"Don't pretend as if you don't know her!" The girl who was talking slapped me. It's not like... I was mad or anything but...

If I want I could kill you.

I bit on my lip.

No... That's wrong... That's not me...

I closed my eyes while they continued complaining about me. I shut myself off.

Here I am... Right were I began...

I felt another kick in my stomach and a few other punches. But I didn't do anything. I just stayed quiet. I didn't call for help. I didn't run away. I just stayed there.

It's my fault, after all.

The rain became stronger. Filtered through all those words they said I heard a voice.

"I can end it all if you want."

I opened my eyes. Those girls were still there. But no one else. Maybe it was just my imagination. But then there was another voice. This time it was familiar.

"What are you doing?" The girls stopped moving and looked up. Someone probably was standing on the wall. I didn't even bother to.

My body hurt. Not only physically but also mentally.

The person jumped off the wall. He was now in front of me. A black jersey. Hair as dark as the night. He had my umbrella in his hand. I lost it as those girls dragged me here. It was him. "Stop it." "Yato...", I whispered. It was all I could do at the moment. I felt warm tears welling up and dripping down my face along with the rain. The girls ran away without saying any other words. Yato turned around and looked into my eyes.

Such melancholic, deep blue eyes...

"Can you stand up?" He held the umbrella above me. I nodded and stood up. It hurt. But it was bearable. It was quiet for a while. I stared at the ground. Then Yato spoke up. "Why... Where they attacking you?" I didn't answer. "Akira..." He took my hand but I pulled it away. "I'm okay..." "Akira. Why were they attacking you?" His voice became louder. "I... I guess I was a little mean to someone in class...", I laughed sadly. "Sorry... I messed up again..." He didn't say anything. But excactly that was what made me feel regretful.

He opened his mouth. "Akira, I... I want to help you, but... If you won't support me by doing that... I won't be able to do anything." He turned around, signaling that I should walk beside him. I gulped. "Does that mean..." I paused. He turned his head towards me. "Hm...?" I sobbed. "Does that mean that you will leave me...?" Yato's eyes widened. He then averted his gaze. "No... That's not it..."

And there it was again. Silence.

"We... Should slowly go to the café. Yukine and Hiyori are already waiting... I sent Yukine ahead since it started raining..." He walked forward. I didn't move but then followed him. It was quiet. All I could hear was the sound of rain dripping on the ground.

"Akira... Can I ask you something...?" I didn't answer. "Why... Why are you making it so hard...? I mean... Today was a good chance to change but you just..." I stopped walking. Yato noticed that a bit later and also stopped. I was standing in the rain. I stared at the ground and clenched my skirt in my fists. "I... Am being a burden, huh...?" "Akira..." "You want to know why I don't want to change? Why I am continuing being a burden to you? Why I am always like this...?" He just stared at me. I forced a smile on my lips. "It's because..." I looked into his eyes.

"I want to stay with you. I want things to stay as they are now, but at the same time I want to change. I smile even though my feelings are so mixed up. I... I want others to stay away from me even though I don't want to be all alone. It's just... It's just so complicated..." Tears dripped out of my eyes. "It's not only that I want to stay with the three of you... I also... Also..." I clenched my teeth.

Please... Don't leave me when I need you the most...

I took a deep breath. "Yato... I... I love you...!" Then everything seemed to stop for a while. Time. The rain. My heartbeat.

Emotions flowing through my body. I looked to Yato. He just stared at me. "Please... Please don't leave me..."

I fell on my knees. Yato stepped closer and held the umbrella above me. "I want to be your hero, Akira..." I looked up to him. "But..." He smiled bitterly. "I also want you to be happy... And... You would be happy if you finally changed, right...?"

It hurts.

"Eh...?" "And if it means that... Hiyori, Yukine and I are fault... For you not wanting to change... Then maybe we should just distance ourselves from you..." He layed my umbrella beside me. He turned around and walked ahead.

It hurts so much...

"Yato, I..." I grabbed his hand. He looked back for one more time. "Akira..." I saw him, smiling. It was a sad yet cruel smile. It shattered my little world into pieces... "Please... Don't make it any harder..." I let go of him. Shocked.

No...

He continued walking. Midway he stopped. He didn't turn around. "I... Will break bonds between you and your comrads once again. When you change... I will come back. But only to say goodbye. After that... We will continue living normally. We will forget each other..."

I don't want to...

I didn't answer. The pain inside of me was just too huge. After saying that he continued walking. He left me alone in the rain.

I don't want to be alone.