Chapter 35 - My hero

Was I dead?

I felt lightheaded as my eyes slowly opened. But somehow I felt better than before. The headache was gone. Breathing didn't hurt my lungs as they used to. I just stayed there, laying.

Where was I...?

What I saw? Absolutely nothing. The sky was white. Well... I wasn't even quite sure if it was the sky... As I turned to the side, I noticed the ground. It wasn't white as anything else, but it was almost like a mirror. It reflected myself. I sat up and stared at my reflection. My hair has grown back to normal and I had on other clothes than when I 'left'...

Suddendly a picture jumped into my mind. I remembered that time, when I met Yato and Yukine for the first time. In art lesson we had to draw the school building. Instead I drew an a woman which seemed to be a demon. No... More like a... Fallen angel. Everything in my reflectuon resembeled that drawing. The small, twisted wings... The flowers in the hair which were almost dead... Even the sad gaze in her eyes... I see... So that's why she seemed to familiar...

This is me. A yokai. A monster...

"As yokai, you don't look like your mother at all."

I was surprised hearing a voice here, somewhere in this emptiness. But I didn't panic or weep. I knew who it was, after all. He came to take me.

Death.

I slowly turned around. In my own surprise I saw a person. And to be honest... A person who seemed to be familiar with me.

It was a small man, clothed in traditional, japanese clothes. He had a grin on his lips. I remembered him. I remembered how he gave me that omamori back then, which had Yato's number in it. I remembered how he returned the necklace with my mother's picture in it, even though it was used to be broken.

I couldn't help but let out a small laughter.

"So after all. After all Death was with me the whole time."

The old man smiled. "Guess you figured out."

I stood up. "So? What will happen now?" "It depends on you." I looked up. "It's either you surrender." A black mist curled around his arm as the mist grew taller and taller. And then it disappeared. He held a scythe in his hand and held it towards me. "Or you fight."

I gulped as I grabbed it. I stood up. Compared to how I felt back then, it was way easier. I felt as if I could fly... I thightly held the scythe in my hand.

"But why..." I paused. "Why have you done all of this?!" The man just stared at me. "You... You were one of the people who is responsible for making me, meet Yato... You gave me back that necklace... Why have you done that?!" He just looked at me silently.

"I may be Death. People see me as cruel. I actually am... But... It's a pain seeing that you wouldn't care dying, how you were back then. Right now, you probably would surrender. But now you have a reason to fight... Don't you?"

I softly laughed and looked down at the floor. "Well... Not really... To be honest, I am glad to restart my life." I looked up. "But... Let's say that I also want to win. Even though it's only a little bit." With that my body almost automatically moved and striked the blade towards him. But he stopped the blade with his hands. He smiled as the black mist around him widened, covering him completely. As the mist slowly disappeared a complete different person was visible. A tall man, clothed in a black kimono. A mask which resembeled a skull, covered his face. He held a samurai sword in his hand.

"I have a lot of forms. But I have to admit this is my favourite one. Well then, Akira. May the better one win."

Of course it was impossible. Heck what was I even thinking? Fighting against death... But still... If I win... Maybe I can see them once again...

He swung his sword towards my throat but I managed to dodge it with the blade of my scythe.

Maybe... I can see him once again...

As I tried to attack he suddendly disappeared in front of me. I turned around and felt how something pierced through my shoulder.

He was the one who changed me...

I released myself from his blade. The pain was unbearable. But of course I wouldn't give up. Not now.

Even though he left me... He changed me...

I hit the blade of my scythe against him, but he dodged it, so that the blade only cut into a piece of his kimono.

Not only he changed me... He thaught me how to smile. He thaught me not to give up. He took me away from these shadows.

In response, he soflty chuckled. He suddendly hit me against the stomach. I gasped for air, falling on my knees.

From black to white.

I didn't let go of the scythe. And so, I stood up and swung it towards him. But he stopped the blade with his own.

I really loved him. The outgoing, funny, twisted, but yet sad and lonely god he was...

Suddendly he disappeared. The next moment I found myself, looking down amd seeing a blade coming from out of my belly. He attacked me from the back.

I really... Really, really loved him...

I felt how he pulled out the blade. I coughed out some blood.

This is not an happy end.

I fell on my knees, struggeling to stand up, once again. But of course it was useless...

But sometimes the most important part is the story. Not on the happy ending.

Instead of standing up, I fell on the floor. Completly helpless. My opponent kicked me so that I rolled on my back.

But after all...

I blankly stared at him. "Well, you didn't win after all. Just as expected. However. Any last words to say?"

Even though it was a bit late...

I closed my eyes and calmly took a few of my last breaths.

It looks like I finally found him.

I opened them one last time. "I guess that means 'no', huh?" He placed the blade against my throat.

I found him...

He swung it upwards so that he could hit me with more might. The last thing I remembered was the white color of the sky, piercing into my eyes. Then everything went black.

My hero.

[Author's Note]

Aiyeh goumen for not updating last week. I had to study for school ;-; I'll (try to) update tomorrow, again.

And once again. THIS IS NOT THE ENDING YET. IT STILL WILL CONTINUE!

It would be really depressing if this was the last chapter, though, wouldn't it? ;(

Also sorry once again. I'm not very good at writing fighting scenes ;-; Still hoped you enjoy!

So? How is this fanfic up until now? Lemme know *^* Well then, see ya in the next chapter, dear readers! Have a nice daaaaayyy! *runs into sunset in slowmotion while waving to readers*