Chapter 8 - Friendship

I walked out of the school as soon as the teacher dismissed us. Yukine and Yato waited just as said for me in front of the school gate. But there was somebody else. A girl. Hiyori. She seemed to talk to them. As soon as she saw me, she waved her hand.

"Akira-chan!" "Hiyori... What are you doing here?" "So, how I see, you called them for help after all." I nodded. "So... What is with that...?" She smiled. "Nothing. I'm just happy that I'm not the only one can leave her body and wander as spirit around." "Wait... You can what?!"

Her smile faded and she looked at me with big eyes. "Huh? Don't tell me, you actually... Are not like..." Yato sighed. "Hiyori. Just because she also is stuck between the normal dimension and that of those phantoms, doesn't mean that she's the same as you." "I know, I know... I just hoped so..." She looked at the ground. It was silent for a while.

Then Hiyori looked up. "Then... Akira-chan... Why did you call Yato for help?" I didn't answer. I didn't know how. Yato and Yukine looked at me. Suddendly Yato interrupted. "Hiyori~ Would you mind inviting Yukine and me~?" "Huh? Again? Aw come on, you didn't even solved my problem, yet... But fine. If you want to..." She let out a sigh and the three of them started walking.

Hiyori looked back at me. "Akira-chan. Are you coming?" "Huh? I... I am invited, too...?" Hiyori giggled. "What are you talking about? Of course you are." I looked at her. Then at Yukine and then at Yato. They smiled. A warm, fuzzy feeling came up in my chest. I started walking.

What is this feeling...?

As I stood beside them, we started walking downtown.

It won't stop...

We sat down in a family restaurant. Yato and Yukine started ordering pretty much. Hiyori sighed but then looked at me. "Do you also want something, Akira-chan?" "Ah... No thanks." "Fine, then."

My chest is feeling so fuzzy...

While Yukine and Yato were enjoying food, I noticed that Hiyori was looking at me. "Is something wrong...?" She shook her head. "It's just... Last time we saw each other, you..." The warm feeling dissapeared. I remembered.

"There's nobody who wants to be my friend... Also, there's nobody who can help me!"

I bit on my lip. Hiyori faintly smiled. "I may not be right... But could it be that you called the number because of that?" I looked at her with an surprised expression. "Heh... Looks like you found out..." I then noticed that it was quite quiet. I looked up. Yato seemed to have a worried expression for a small moment. Then he smiled and pushed a plate with some meat to me. I looked at him with a wondering gaze.

"Lesson number two! If you want to change, you should eat enough so that you have enough energy! If you ask me, you're pretty small for your age. "I... I'm not small!" "Yes... Yes you are. Even smaller than Yukine, and he is pretty small." Yukine stopped to eat. "Hey!", he complained. Hiyori giggled. And there was it again. This feeling inside of me.

Warm...

"Sorry Yukine, but Yato's right.", she said while laughing. "See? I'm always right. I'm a god after all!"

It feels so warm...

"Aw, shut up! I never met a god with sweaty hands like yours, before!" "Wait... What?!" Yato was shocked.

Maybe this is it...

"Haha! Yukine, you shouldn't be so mean. He really is a god after all." "Yeah, that's right! Better listen to Hiyori!"

Maybe this is what they call...

"You're the one who said that I was small!" "Nuh! I just said that Akira's even smaller than you are! Right, Akira?" "Uh... Right." "See? Told you!"

... Friendship.