Chapter 5 - My beloved mother

I looked around. No one was there anymore. I was alone. 'Weird...' I looked at the omamori and put it inside my pocket. I slowly went back home. I climbed on a tree and jumped through an open window inside my house. I quietly sneeked into the living room. My father was sleeping on the sofa. I layed a blanket on him and gave him a peck on his cheek. He may be a drunktard, but I still love him. He's my father after all. It's not his fault for being like this... Mother disappeared. Of course he is frustrated...

I went into the kitchen and prepared some food for him in case he would wake up. I wasn't hungry at all even though I've barely eaten. I filled up a cup of water and put it on the table in front of the sofa. I heated the bath and went in. As I took my clothes off, I noticed something in my pocket. "Ah... Right... The omamori..." I held it in my hand and went into the tub. I stared at it. "Yatogami..."

After a while I noticed that something was inside of it. It looked like... A little piece of paper. I carefully took it out so that it wouldn't get wet and looked what was written on it. "A phone number...? Wait a second!" I raised my hand to see the number which Hiyori has written on my hand and compared it to that on the piece of paper. They were similar. "What is with this number...?"

Before I went to bed I layed a fresh suit on my father's bed so that he could prepare himself for work. I also left the bath heated so that he could get rid of that alcoholic scent. I layed on my bed and stared out of the window. "Mother... Are you up there...? Are you by these gods?" I knew it what stupid of my asking something like that, since I knew that no one would answer, but who knows...? What if she actually can hear me?

Of course she couldn't.

I took off my necklace and opened it. In it was a picture of my mother. I closed it again and put it on my desk. I fell asleep.

I woke up from a little whisper coming out of the nowhere.

Akira... I am here... Here with you and your father...

The soon as I heard it I fell asleep again. In the morning I woke up, not remembering the silent whisper from the night. I made myself ready for school. Just the same routine as everyday. As I was done, changing into my school uniform I left my room but then remembered something. The omamori. I looked back at my desk where it was lying. 'Since omamoris are good-luck charms... Maybe I should take it with me...', I thought. 'Maybe... It actually will give me some luck...'

That's what I thought.

It was lunchtime. I sat in the class room and was listening to their gossip.

'My mom is so mean! She won't buy me stuff I want!'

'Hey, wanna go somewhere later?'

'Did you notice... Kamitsuka is always alone...'

My eyebrows twitched. I concentraded myself to listen to that conversation.

'Yeah, I already noticed that.'

'I wonder why...'

'I heard that her character is really messed up!'

'Eh? But she looks so lonely!'

I stopped listening. Lonely... Is it that...? Is it that's why I'm like this?

I'm like this because I'm lonely... Because I distance myself from others... So that nobody can hurt me...

'I heard her mother died...'

'What? Really?! We should cheer her up!'

Then another voice came in.

'Cheer her up?! Are you stupid? Serves her right, that bitch!'

I clenched my fists.

'Hey! That's mean!'

'It is not. It's true! I heard she robs people and that she also killed somebody!'

'What? Really?!'

The anger growled inside of me.

If there's someone I would kill... It would be you... All of you...

I stood up and left. I heard enough. I went to the roof and looked down as I stood on the edge. I smiled and took a step backwards so that I wouldn't fall down.

It's funny... How humans hold their lives in their own hands... In a single second you could dissapear...

I fell back on the floor and looked into the sky. I streched out my hand. 'What if I would change...? Would they accept me? Would I not be alone anymore...?' I looked at the phone number on my hand. 'Maybe I should...'

Nonsense. There's no way nobody would take me out. Out of this shadows.

'But what if there actually is somebody? What if this number... Belongs to somebody who actually cares?'

Suddendly I heard a thud. I sat up and looked back who it was. "Kamitsuka! So this is where you hid!" It was a boy. That boyfriend from the girl who hit me with her friend... How was his name again...? Tomoki? "What do you want?" I glared at him.

No... That's not what I wanted to say...

"What I want? I heard from Rikka that you insulted her!" I noticed that there were other guys behind him. "Hn! It's not my fault for her being such a slut!"

Stop it... Be quiet you stupid mouth...

"What did you say about my girlfriend?!" "What? Are you deaf? Hah... What should I expect from a guy who bumps every girl he sees."

Shut up...

"Let me guess. As kid you were fat or something and being mobbed. So as you came into this school you wanted to change. Now you're dating every girl so that you would have friends. Isn't that so?"

Shut up!!

Suddendly somebody lifted me up from behind. "Let me go!" Tomoki walked towards me. "So... What should we do with you?" He lifted my chin with his finger. "Huh? What's this?" He put his finger into my collar and grabbed something. My amulet with mother's picture. He tore it off. "Stop it! Anything but that!" He opened it and looked at the picture inside. "Aww... You carry a picture of your mother around?" He dropped it on the floor. "Cute." He stepped in it. I could hear it breaking. "No... No..." "Serves you right, bitch!" I couldn't hold it any longer.

Why always me? Why is it always my fault? If I wouldn't have acted like this... If I would have apologized...

I looked up to Tomoki. He looked at me with big eyes. The other guys shrieked. "Matsuda... Let her go...!" "Huh? Why?" I could slowly feel how my feet touched the ground again. "Dude! Let her go! Her eyes are glowing!" "What the heck do you mean...?" He let me go. I fell on my knees and looked at them.

Die... You should all die...

"Whoa you're right!" Suddendly Tomoki kicked me. "Y-you fools! That's only a cheap trick of hers!" He stepped on my head. "See? Nothing happens."

Die.

In the same moment the door to the roof swung open. "Quit! Right now!" "Ah! Shit! Mr Ibaragi! It's not what it-" "It is! And now go! I'll deal with you later!" They left. Mr Ibaragi walked into my direction. "Are you okay?" "Please... Leave me alone for a second..." "Ah... But-" He then saw my crushed necklace on the floor and picked up the picture. "Is... Is this your mother, Kamitsuka?" "Please!" He looked at me for a while and nodded. "I understand." He stood up and went. The soon as he left tears welled out of my eyes. I picked the picture up, that Mr Ibaragi has layed on the floor again. "Mother..." I cried. "I don't know what I should do anymore..."

Suddendly my cell phone vibrated. I took it out. No messages. "Strange..." As I wanted to put it back in my pocket, I noticed that the omamori fell out. The piece of paper with the phone number looked out. I looked at it.

What if he won't help me...? What if he'll leave me when I need him the most...? I don't want to get hurt anymore... Nor do I want to hurt others anymore... Should really I trust him...?

I dialed the phone number and pressed on 'call'.