Chapter 20 - It will always be the same...

I woke up. I sat up and streched. I crawled out of my bed and went through my usual routine in the morning. But somehow something was missing. I thought about it for a while. Then I remembered. "Yato isn't here...!" I looked out of the window. But he wasn't outside either. It felt strange. He usually always was there, when I woke up but today... After eating my breakfast I went back to my room again, to get my bag, before going to school. Then I saw a letter on my desk.

"I'm out on a job. Today school starts again, right? Do your best. Maybe you can make some friends. You deserve it. If something's wrong, message me. If I don't answer, you also can message Hiyori. I'm sure she'll cheer you up! I'll try to be back when school ends. See ya \(^o^)/

-Yato"

I put the letter back on my desk. "I see... So I'll have to go through school without Yukine or Yato..." I went out of the house to walk to school. I sunk deep in my thoughts. 'Now that I think of it... I only met them a few days ago... But it feels like it has been ages... I found some friends in that short amount of time...' I stared up to the sky. It was cloudy.

I hope... That I can stay with them even after I changed...

I finally arrived. After I went to my classroom, I sat on my desk and layed my head on my arms, waiting for the teacher to arrive. I listened to what the others in class were talking about. But there was nothing out of ordinary. Just as always. I sighed and closed my eyes. I heard the door open und looked up. The teacher finally arrived.

"Raise. Bow. Sit down." It seemed like usual. But then the teacher turned his head towards the door. "Yukisawa-san. Don't be shy. Just come inside." Then a girl stepped into the room. "Today, class, you will have a new student." "I am Maru Yukisawa. Please take care of me." A new student...? The teacher glanced over the room. "Kamitsuka-san. Please show Yukisawa-san around the building later, okay?" I shrieked. I glanced at the girl. Our eyes met. At the same time the class became louder.

"Why her?!"

"I pity Yukisawa."

"Is he serious?! Kamitsuka?!"

But I didn't care. I was more surprised about the fact that the Mr. Ibaragi, the teacher, picked me, even though he knew that I'm not good with people. But fine, there was nothing to do about it anyways.

Later class ended and break started. I glanced at Yukisawa. She was taking out her lunch, as some girls surrounded her. Maybe I should have just left her. I was sure, someone else would be more interested in showing her around the building. I was about to get a paper sheet out of my bag. I wanted to make notes for the new book I was planning, since my editor appriciated of it. But then I noticed someone stepping in front of my desk. I looked up.

Yukisawa. She smiled. "So... Wanna show me around the building?" I looked at her for a while. I tried my best with being nice. "Sure, but... Isn't there anyone else you want to show you around?" She shook her head. "No. I don't know anyone here anyways, so you'll do." I took a deep breath and stood up. "Okay... But this school is pretty big, so I guess, we'll need to hurry." "That's okay.", she said while grinning. I let out a sigh.

After I showed her the library and where the principal's room was, I wanted to show her the gym. We had to go outside for that though, since the gym was not connected with the building of the school. It was about to rain so we hurried up. But midway, I noticed that Yukisawa wasn't following me anymore.

I turned around just to see her standing a few metres away from me, not moving at all. "Yukisawa...?" I glanced at her face. She had the same smile on it, as always. It somehow made me feel uncomfortable.

"Hey, Kamitsuka. You know... As we were in the classroom... Some girls told me some things about you." I remembered how the girls were crowded around Yukisawa. "...Yeah, so what?" "So... You seem to be really unpopular. A total bitch. A slut. And some even said a murderer." I didn't say anything. "So... After this... Please don't talk to me ever again. Okay? I'm new here and I don't want to end up as an outsider, when I'm hanging around with you. Also, please don't cling to me. It would be just annoying." She said every single word with a smile on her face. At the same time the school bell rang again. "So... I'll go inside. Please come a bit later than I do. I don't want people to think that we're friends." With those words she left. I did not say a word.

I felt the first raindrops dripping on my skin. "I see... So that's how it is..." I took out my phone to write a message to Yato.

'I tried. And failed. But it's my fault after all. I thought it would be easy to find some new friends. But now, that I think of it... Of what I have done to some people... Of which rumors are ranking around me... Of how I am... It all makes me feel so stupid. I'm just an idiot... Sorry...'

I pressed pressed on 'send' and looked up to the sky once again. I closed my eyes and let the rain pour on my face. I wasn't in the mood of going back inside. Maybe I should just stay here... Or maybe not. I continued walking. But not to the school. To the gym. At this time nobody was in there. I could just wait until school ended, go back, get my stuff and head back home.

As I arrived, I tried opening the door. But it was locked. I leaned against the wall and sat down on the wet floor. I stared at my cell phone. Still no message. I hugged my knees. Actually I was glad that it was raining.

If somebody came, he wouldn't be able to tell if I was crying or if it was just water from the rain...

Tears fell from my eyes.

But what am I imagining...? Nobody will come, anyways...

Suddendly I felt something wrapping around me. A jacket...? The scent seemed familiar... "Yato...?" I slowly looked up. But it wasn't Yato. "Don't compare me with that idiot. It's me." It was Yukine. He sighed and sat down beside me. He was dripping wet. Of course, it was raining after all.

"What are you doing here, Akira? You'll catch a cold if you continue sitting here in the rain." I didn't say anything for a while. But then I raised my voice. "And what are you doing here? You're supposed to be with Yato." Yukine sighed. "He told me to see if you were okay. But since you're crying, I guess you're not." I shrugged. I clenched my teeth. "All these feelings... I don't want them..." "Huh?" "If I stop hurting others... It won't change the fact that I'm getting hurt, by others... It's so depressing..." I pulled the jacket over my head so that Yukine couldn't see me crying. "I don't want to do this anymore... It will always be the same... No matter what I do..." After saying that it grew silent. Then I felt a hand on top of the jacket, where my head was. It was Yukine's.

"I'm not really good in comforting people... But even though... We are here for you, Akira. Yato, Hiyori and I. We are here for you." I glanced out of the jacket. Yukine was smiling. I couldn't help but letting a small "Thank you..." escaping from my lips.