New Beginnings in Rhodes

A/N: Warnings, panic attacks

The move was surprisingly smooth, Susan barking orders at everyone ensured that you all stayed on track. Arthur, however, had not left your side since getting you back, not allowing you to lift anything heavier than a bowl of stew.

"Arthur, I'm fine, I can help set up our tent at least." You protest as he scoops the bedroll from your arms.

"Ya ain't healed yet, just sit and relax, and let me take care of you." He smiles at your pouting, pressing a kiss to your forehead before setting the bedroll in its place on your shared cot.

"I'm not a cripple Arthur, I want to be useful." You cross your arms, frustrated that you feel like a burden.

He finishes straightening the blankets before he stands and takes your hands in his.

"You are useful, I'm just giving you a chance to heal properly. 'Sides, you're looking a little pale, you sure you're feeling okay?" his brow furrows as he scans your face, his palm coming up and stroking your cheek.

"I'm fine Arthur, you're paranoid." You lied.

The truth was you had felt nauseous again this morning but hadn't said anything for fear of Arthur practically putting you on bed rest. You hadn't told Arthur about why Colm had taken you into Valentine the day Lenny found you, opting to keep that information quiet as you were sure it was nothing.

"Arthur!" Pearson calls, interrupting Arthur's inspection and walking over. "Was wondering if you could head into town and pick up a few things?"

"Goddamn, it" he whispers to you as you giggle. "Can't John do it?"

"John's out already, Dutch said to send you."

"I bet he did..." he mutters to himself. "You gonna be okay for a bit? I should only be an hour." He asks you.

"I'll be fine Arthur, just hurry back." You smile, stepping on your tiptoes and pressing a quick kiss to his lips.

"You heard the lady, get going," Pearson says leading Arthur away as he rolls his eyes at you with a smirk.

You wave him off with a giggle, listening to Pearson reel of a list of items, knowing Arthur will be cursing to himself as the list grows longer. Although you hated being apart from Arthur, his going into town afforded you the opportunity to try and help with chores. You really did hate feeling like a burden so you set off in search of Susan to offer your services.

It doesn't take you long to realize that Arthur was one step ahead of you, clearly having warned the whole gang about putting you to work. You'd spent half an hour asking everyone if they needed anything, but no one was willing to let you help, telling you to rest, and take it easy. You were ready to scream in frustration, instead opting to return to your tent to unpack your things. As you cross by Dutch's tent to yours, you catch his attention as he sits with Micah.

"Miss Y/L/N won't you come here a moment?" he beckons you over, his signature cigar hanging from the corner of his mouth.

"Everything okay Dutch?" you walk over, your fingers beginning to play with your skirt. The man had welcomed you to the gang, gave you a home, and for that you were thankful, but since Arthur made his feelings for you clear he had labeled you a distraction. You did not feel like having a conversation with him, especially not with Micah there.

"Come take a seat, I owe you an apology." He motions to the seat opposite him.

Well, that was not what you were expecting...

"Apology?" You take the seat hesitantly, subconsciously shuffling the chair further from Micah.

He considers you for a moment, taking a long drag from his cigar, blowing the smoke from the side of his mouth.