Life and Death

A/N: Warnings: Major character death, blood, violence, childbirth.

Arthur's body reacts on instinct, falling to his knees and clutching where the bullet pierced out of his body. Staring down at his chest, he draws his hand away to see the red stain growing on his shirt.

"Shit." He breathes his eyes snapping back up to you desperately.

He'd come too far to leave you now, the agony on your face fuelling his desire to keep going, to keep pushing closer to you. He inhales a shaky breath, pushing himself up onto one knee, the bullet hole protesting angrily, and he realizes his shooting arm is no longer of use, the wound effectively rendering it useless and unable to grip his revolver. Somewhere behind him, he's vaguely aware of the ongoing fight, Sadie, Charles, and Charlotte, keeping back the majority of the O'Driscoll's while John continues to cover him while he kneels in the open like a sitting duck.

"She needs you; you fool. Get up!" he growls to himself through gritted teeth, preparing to swing his body up.

Instead, he feels hot steel press to the back of his head, warning him to stay still. His eyes still focussed on you he raises his hands as best he can, his gun belt quickly pulled from his body.

"I understand why you came for her, don't think for a second I don't understand, because I do." Colm moves to block Arthur's view, staring down at him from behind the barrel of his gun.

"You already got me Colm, just let her and the others go. Dutch is dead and I'm the one you wanted. I won't fight, you have my word." Arthur pleads, knowing the cards are not in his favor, but if he can just convince Colm to free you, he can die peacefully.

Colm laughs, taking a quick look behind to see you watching the events unfold. Your chest rising and falling rapidly as Abigail begs you to keep pushing.

"She's beautiful ain't she? Even in labor, she's radiant." Colm kneels before Arthur, fisting his hair to meet his eye, shoving the barrel of his gun painfully against his temple. "You think this was about you, but it wasn't, it was about her. I loved her; I would have cared for her, her, and that goddamn baby. But you were always an obstacle. Even now if I kill you... She'll never be mine; she'll always see me as your killer."

Arthur realizes quickly the Colm intends to kill you, and there's no way in his current circumstance he can prevent that from happening. Unless...

"Tell her I betrayed her." He stares hard into Colm's eyes, the thought of you hating him making him feel physically sick, but he sees no other way to keep you safe. Colm was crazy, there was no doubt, but he may just be crazy enough to let this happen.

"What?" Colm loosens his grip on Arthur's head. Visibly surprised by his hostage's idea.

"Tell her I was working with you; I double-crossed Dutch and made a trade with you for the money in exchange for her." Arthur can't believe what he's saying but it's his only hope to keep you alive, even if it's in Colm's hands.

"No."

"No?" Arthur asks, desperation leaking into his tone.

"No. She'll never believe me."

"You'll convince her. You have to." He was on the verge of begging.

"I can't convince her. But you can..." He stands, dragging Arthur up with him who staggers in pain.

"Y/n focus please, don't look at them. We have to get this baby out of you, okay?" Abigail is on the verge of hysterics. Arthur is in a hopeless position and if she's doesn't get this baby out of your she's going to lose her best friend. Her hopes of escape are slipping away by the minute.