Old Flames and New Problems

Arthur decides he has no choice but to double back and head East in the hopes that the O'Driscoll's fled the other way. Having risen with the sun he heads back into Valentine to resupply before the ride.

"I won't be long girl."

He soothes and pats her damp coat as she grumbles at the tether post, still not having quite forgiven him for leaving her out in the rain all night. Arthur shakes his head and chuckles, not sure if he finds her attitude amusing or the fact that he's been talking to her nonstop like a crazed person for the last few days.

Pulling his hat low to hide his eyes he enters the shop, browsing slowly with his face to the shelves he waits for the other patrons to leave; the fewer people who see him the better. When he's sure he's alone he takes his goods to the counter, thumbing through and handing over bills as quickly as he could.

"Can I interest you in a cigar? Just got 'em in this mornin'. Real fine they are." The shopkeeper offers enthusiastically whilst packing Arthur's items painfully slowly.

"Uh no thanks, just this is fine."

"Well how about some cigarettes? You look like a man who enjoys a finer smoke."

"No, just this. Now, can ya hurry I'm in a bit of a rush?

"Fair enough- Ah Ms. Linton, good to see you! I have the tea you ordered, just arrived."

Arthur curses at the sound of the bell signaling another customer and the shopkeeper stops packing his items to greet the new woman. Arthur internally groans at the man's glacial pace but then his skin begins to prickle with a feeling he can't quite place.

Linton? Why was that name familiar?

Wait...Wasn't that...

"Oh good, Jamie will be pleased."

Shit.

Arthur would recognize that voice anywhere.

Mary.

Taking his packed things, he drops his head low and rounds his shoulders in a futile attempt at making himself less noticeable, but when you're over six feet it's hardly an easy task and as expected she recognizes him in an instant.

"Arthur?" her voice is quiet with disbelief.

He sighs and turns, realizing there's no way out of this.

"Hullo Mary."

"Oh my, Arthur is that really you? You look, well you look tired, but you look good." She beams at him in a way that used to make his heart jump, but now it only irritates him. Somehow, she never fails to both compliment and insult him in the same sentence.

"Uh thanks, you seem well, I hope the family is good. Sorry, I can't stay I have to be going." He turns and leaves, not stopping to hear her response but cursing under his breath when he realizes, she's followed him outside.

"Arthur wait! It's been years since I saw you, why don't you come by the house? Jamie would love to see you again."

"Sorry, Mary I have somewhere to be." He finishes tethering his goods to Bodecia, before placing a foot in the stirrup but a small hand on his arm stops him in his tracks.

"Arthur please, I missed you."