Warmth at Colter I

You bite your lip and smile at the memory. It seems so long ago now, so many things have happened. The boat, the Pinkertons finding you, losing Davey, John was still missing, and Sean had been caught. You shake your head shuffling closer to the fire in yours and Arthur's temporary cabin.

"You have Arthur back just focus on that," you think to yourself in an effort to stay positive.
The door bangs open behind you, wind racing into the cabin.

"Y/N?" Arthur shouts into the cabin but quickly spots you by the fire. "There you are Susan said she'd given us a place to ourselves. Wonder what she's been drinking to be so nice?"

He chuckles as he pushes the door shut, shaking off his snow-covered coat, hanging it on a loose nail.

"I'd leave that on if I were you, it's fucking freezing in here." You pull the blanket tighter to you.

"Tut-tut" he shakes his head, "I leave for a few days and come back to my lady swearin' like a damn sailor." He smirks settling down beside you at the fire.

"Like you haven't said worse" you knock your shoulder into him.

"I thought you liked when I swore?" His voice suddenly a whisper, dropping deeper. "If I recall you 'specially like it when we're in bed."

You go to swat his arm but he scoops you up and between his legs so you're both facing the fire, your back nestled against the hard muscle of his chest and his legs framing your body on either side.

You sigh at his warmth, wiggling as far back into him as possible. He wraps his arms around you and presses a kiss behind your ear before settling his chin on your shoulder watching the flames.
You sit for a minute in comfortable silence, just enjoying being back in each other's arms.

A few minutes pass before Arthur breaks the silence.

"What happened while I was gone?"

You know he's talking about the boat. You look down, playing with the frayed edges of your blanket.

"A lot of people died Arthur. We were lucky we got away."

His arms instinctively tighten around you, the thought of losing you playing on his mind.

You continue, "We were using dynamite to get into the safe, didn't think it's be a problem since we'd done it at the bank before but Micah used too much. Said he wasn't risking anything. He damn blew a hole in the side of the boat and water started pouring in."

"Damn Micah," Arthur growls shaking his head.

He hated Micah ever since he joined, said Dutch wasn't the man he knew anymore because of him.

"Anyway, the girls and I tried to get everyone out to the rafts while the boys got what they could before the boat went down. Only turns out Micah had sabotaged half the rafts, said: "they won't be able to chase us that way". There wasn't enough for the people and us."

Tears are starting to fall now but you sniff and carry on.

"Dutch said we had to leave 'em, that it was them or us and he wasn't letting his family die. We were supposed to break the engine and leave 'em stranded, not drown them." Your shaking and can no longer hold back the tears. "There were kids on board...children Arthur! WE LET THEM DIE!" You sob into your knees.

"Hey hey hey shhh" he presses his nose into your hair and begins to rock you gently. "It wasn't your fault, you tried to save them."

You sniffle and nod, his thumb coming up and wiping away the tears from your cheeks.

"Sweetheart, you did what you could. This is god damn Micah's fault if anything."

You nod but can't help but feeling guilty still at being a part of the gang that downed the boat"

You swallow and try to carry on "When we got t-.."

"Hey...I don't need to hear anymore, I'm just happy your alive."

You spin between his legs and push up so you're facing him on your knees. The blanket falling to the floor. You cup his face with both hands as he looks up at you, an eyebrow raised questioningly.

"Make me forget Arthur"

"He frowns, "Y/N...I don-.."

You press your mouth to his and kiss him, he relaxes but still doesn't kiss you back.

"Please Arthur." You whisper against his mouth.

At that he kisses you back, hand coming up to tangle in your hair as the other wraps around your waist.
You move to straddle his lap, but he stops you. You break from the kiss to look at him, confused.

"Not here"

You nod, and he goes to stand, scooping you up bridal style and walking you to the small bedroom. He sets you down on the bed and begins to peel away your layers.

"I'll help you forget" his voice a deep whisper.