Reunited

A/N: I have to preface this chapter by saying, I have never given birth and I am not a medical professional. I know some of the practices mentioned in this chapter are not realistic but this is purely fiction so please take everything with a pinch of salt.

Warnings: labor, blood, injuries

"No no no! Stay with me y/n, I need you to try and stay awake." Abigail pleads desperately as she works to make you as comfortable as possible for the birth.

You've been groaning in pain for three hours, Colm has gathered what supplies he could and was now pacing back and forth a few meters away, muttering periodically about not enough time. Abigail knew Arthur was on your tail and although she wished things went in a different direction, your sudden labor offered them the perfect opportunity to catch up.

Holding the whiskey bottle to your lips she encourages you to drink, assuring you that it will help with the pain.

"You just have to stay awake, and you'll be fine." She encourages, wiping your sweaty brow with a cloth. Leaning close to you she adds in a whisper. "Arthur is close, I heard Dutch telling Colm. You just have to hang on a little longer."

You nod, unable to find the words through the pain. Shuffling back against the tree with Abigail's help you begin to feel like your pelvis is being torn apart.

"I don't think I can do this Abigail, the pain, it's too much." You groan, wondering if it felt like this for every one woman, and wondering how they did it.

Positioning herself between your knees she peels back your blood-soaked dress and removes your undergarments, paling slightly at the sheer volume of blood already lost. The truth was childbirth was painful, she'd experienced it herself and helped several others through their own, but right now yours was beyond her expertise. God how she wished Grimshaw, and Swanson were here, they'd know what to do.

"You can do this; we're going to deliver this baby together okay? Give Jack a friend to play with." She keeps talking, making sure you're conscious and listening, you're not ready to start pushing yet but if she didn't do something this baby wasn't going to make it out of you alive. "Colm, I need a knife!"

He ceases his pacing; eyeing her as if she'd just asked him for an elephant. "Do you think I'm stupid?"

"She's not dilated enough to push, but with a knife, I can increase the opening, give her space to get the baby out."

You think she's completely lost it hearing her talk about cutting you open but right now you're not sure you could feel any more pain, even if she did cut you up like a fish.

"If I don't cut her, we could be here for hours." She stressed, the time, knowing Colm was keen to put some miles between him and wherever Arthur may be.

Shooting her a warning glare he relents, freeing his hunting knife and wiping the blood-stained blade across his pants.

"Remember, you try anything and that precious boy of yours better learn how to use his left hand."

Swallowing her courage, she takes the weapon, dousing it in whiskey before turning back to you, knife poised and ready to butcher you.

"I'm going to need you to bite down on something." She hands you a rag, rolling it and placing it between your teeth.

Tears streak down your cheeks as you try desperately to remain calm, despite seeing the knife that you know is about to plunge into you.

"I won't lie, this is going to hurt." She barely gives you a chance to respond as she slides the knife into you, cutting up inside of you.