Memories at Blackwater

A/N : Chapter contains smut.

As crusty as Susan could be, she did have her moments, and she seemed to have a soft spot (albeit a tiny one) for you. The girls said it was because Arthur loved you, they said that after Mary broke his heart he was miserable and when Susan saw how happy you made him she began to go easier on you than the others.

You worried they'd get jealous, resent you, but the group was kind, simply relieved to see Arthur happy. He was like a big brother to all the girls, you included when you first joined, making sure they were safe, providing for them, always looking over them on jobs. Eventually, you noticed he'd give you things and not the others, little sketches from his journal, pressed flowers that he'd found on his travels, and eventually more extravagant gifts like jewelry. You smiled as you remembered when Arthur first presented you with a necklace.

Flashback

" Arthur, it's beautiful but I can't accept this." Hands fingering the delicate chain and red stone.

He looks down and shrugs, hand scratching the back of his neck, "Oh that? Nah- I just found it on a job, thought it'd look pretty on ya."

You knew he'd stolen it, and it hadn't really cost him anything, but you still didn't feel right accepting such lavish gifts.

This continued for a few weeks. Gift, glances, a lingering hand as he helped you from horses and wagons. You loved the attention because from the moment you arrived, you'd had your eye on him. Strong, protective, handsome, and most of all kind, who wouldn't pine for him?

One day Arthur finally worked up the courage, albeit with a little liquid help, to ask you to go hunting with him, you'd never hunted in your life so wondered what help you could possibly offer him as a hunting companion

"But I can't even shoot a standing target, let alone a moving one!'

He smiles to himself, remembering the time you'd tried to shoot a beer bottle no more than ten feet away.

"You'll be fine, you can help with the skinning or something." He shrugs.

"I don't know Arthur I'm not even good at that, why don't you take John or something?"

"Cause I'd rather not spend a day wi' him, 'sides he's useless at huntin'."

"Well, what about Tilly? She at least can skin a rabbit properly?"

He sighed, "'Cause I'd just like your company alright? Come with me, please?"

A blush quickly filling his cheeks as you had accidentally forced him to reveal his true intention.

That night you barely slept for thoughts of being alone with him for the first time. You were excited to get away from camp but nervous about spending the whole day together. What if you had nothing in common? What if you'd misread his signals and he really was just looking for company? What if he didn't like you after spending a day with you? Would you have to find a new gang then? Would it be awkward? Maybe he just wanted a quick fling, he was a man with needs after all...

...Jesus you needed to sleep...

The next morning came faster than you would have liked, your overthinking keeping you up. When you leave your tent, you see Arthur already up and loading gear onto his horse, Bodecia. Your blue roan, Caesar waiting patiently beside the pair and already tacked up.

He turns as you approach. "Ready to go darlin'?"

You blush at the endearment, you weren't sure if he used the term with the others but hearing him use it on you made you feel all kinds of warm and fuzzy.