Revelations in Valentine

You wake up in a cold sweat from the same dream that's been plaguing you night after night. Arthur dead. Shot by Dutch as he stands laughing over his body. You try to run to him but are unable to move every time, you hated it.

As you wipe the sweat and tears from your face you remember where you are. The smell of sour vomit reaches your nostrils from the floor. Oh right, last night...

"Miss Y/N? You awake?" Kieron calls from outside the tent. "Colm said I was to bring you breakfast."

You thought about ignoring him so you could be alone, but the thought of breakfast was welcoming. Especially considering you'd emptied your stomach last night.

"Yea I'm awake."

"Are ya decent Miss? May come in?"

"Sure, I'm decent." Though you thought the term 'decent' only loosely applied to your current appearance.

Keiron was a sweet boy, he wasn't anything like the others, usually keeping to himself and tending to the horses. The days he was in charge of you you'd breathe a sigh of relief knowing he'd keep a distance and leave you to your chores.

"Glad to see you're okay Miss, especially after....y'know..."

"..after last night?" You finish.

He sighs mournfully and casts his eyes down. "Yea...."

You're both quiet for a moment staring at the floor as you recount last night's events.
You wish you could bathe to scrub away the memory of his hands on you. Unfortunately, your current living situation did not permit such luxuries.

Keiron breaks the silence first. "You sick Miss?"

Raising your head you follow his gaze to the vomit on the floor. "Don't think so." You dismiss. Your eyes peeking at the bowl in his hand, stomach beginning to protest. "That stew?"

Remembering why he was there he nods handing you the bowl. You take it graciously instantly digging in. The stew made Pearson's cooking look like fine dining, but you continued to wolf it down regardless.

"Colm said you're not to do chores no more."

Spoon halfway to your mouth you pause. You narrow your eyes at Kieron, "Why?"

"Said to tell you that you don't gotta worry no more. Said he's gonna take care of you now since your... well...y'know since..."

You return the spoon to the bowl, your stomach clenching. "Since what?"

Keiron shuffles, clearly uncomfortable.

"Since what Keiron." You push.

"Since you're his now.' He whispers.

Realization begins to dawn on you. Colm meant what he said last night, he was going to keep you. No longer a way to settle a debt, he had claimed you and the idea of escape was growing further and further away.

"Keiron, you have to help me get out of here." You shoot up and grab his arm, the remaining stew clattering to the floor.

"Miss I'm sorry I can't, they'll kill me." He gently removes your hand, bending to pick up the bowl.

"I don't belong here, I didn't do anything you know that." You follow him as he turns to leave.

"Please stop Miss, if they hear you, who knows what they'll do to you. What they'll do to me."
You follow him outside, pleading. "Please you have to help me."

You both stop dead, staring directly at Colm.

"Help with what?" Colm eyes you both.

You don't know how much he's heard and can't gauge his mood. You look at Keiron for help, but his eyes are wide not leaving Colm's, he's terrified. Clearly, you're getting no help there.