Hope in West Grizzlies

A/N: This chapter is back to Arthur's point of view and takes place a few days before 'Revelations at Valentine' (part 8).

It's been over a week since they took Y/N and the gang has been on the move since. When Arthur heard what had happened it was like a switch flipped inside of him. Murderous rage ran through him, where he'd normally bear the weight of his kills and bad deeds, he knew now he'd kill whoever, whenever to get Y/N back.

The gang headed South following the trail as far as they could with Arthur and Charles taking the lead in tracking. The trail had gone cold by Cattail Pond so Hosea suggested they make camp while they figure out their next move.
"Hosea we can't stop, Y/N is still out there!"

Hosea looked at Arthur taking in his appearance, he looked like he hadn't slept in days. His heart went out to the man who was like a son to him, in all the years he'd known him Hosea had never seen him so lost. Not even when Mary had left him. He places a hand heavy on his shoulder.
"Son we've no leads and the gang needs to rest; we'll regroup and search for leads in the morning. I have some connections in Valentine that can help us."

Arthur didn't like the idea of stopping, his mind was constantly plagued with thoughts of Y/N and what they may be doing to her. Deep down however he knows Hosea is right, they'd lose more time if they ambled around blindly, so he agrees.
"Good, I'll go tell Dutch we rest here. Try to sleep Son, we'll find her." He pats Arthur's shoulder and leaves.

A few hours later Arthur's sitting by the fire sharpening his knife, he finds if he keeps his hands busy his mind gives him a moment's peace.
"How're you doing?" Charles takes a seat beside him, the beer bottles in his hand clinking as he offers Arthur one. He takes it silently; he's been drinking a lot since Y/N was taken as it numbs the pain and helps in sleep.
"How'd you think?" He takes a long chug draining a quarter of the bottle.

There's a moment of silence between them, Arthur busy with his thoughts, Charles not knowing what to say next.
"Arthur I'm sorry."
Arthur lowers the bottle staring straight at him and chuckling, but there's no humor in his laugh. "If one more person tells me they're sorry for me losing Y/N I'll cut out their tongue."
"That not what I meant. I....I'm sorry for not protecting her."
Arthur stands and turns leaving, not wanting to talk anymore. "Charles it wasn't your job to, it was mine."
"Arthur wait I.."
He dismisses him with a wave of his hand before disappearing into his tent.

The next morning Arthur is grabbing a coffee as Dutch strolls over, cigar already burning between his fingers. It did t matter how early it was, the man loved to smoke.

 It did t matter how early it was, the man loved to smoke

"How'd you sleep, son?"
"Fantastic." He grits back sarcastically.
"Good." He completely glosses over Arthur's tone. "Hosea sent Lenny into town this morning to speak to his contact but I was thinking it wise we lay low for a few days once we have the information. It's not safe for us this close to town, you understand."
"Not happenin' "Dutch, I'm not wasting another day. God knows what the O'Driscolls are doing with her!" He practically growls.

Arthur was a ticking time bomb of anger these days. Dutch takes a long drag from his cigar before continuing.
"All I'm saying is we need a plan."
"You and your goddamn plans Dutch, they're what got us into this mess in the first place. Y/N wasn't wrong you're gonna get us all killed with your damn plans!" His voice rising to a shout causing Charles and John to look over.

Dutch's face darkens, "She's bad news Arthur, can't you see she's turning you against your family!?"
"She is my family!" Arthur's voice now causing everyone to stop and stare. Charles and John make their way over slowly, cautious at the change in atmosphere.
"I'm your family and don't forget it! Maybe it's best we leave her where she is so you can remember that!"

Arthur loses it lunging at Dutch and grabbing his collar, pulling him close until their noses almost touch. Dutch is tall but Arthur's taller, his grip on his collar tight and choking him slightly.
"Say that again." His voice is dangerously low.
"Arthur stop!" John yells as he tries to push the men apart.

Charles grabs Arthur's shoulder pulling him back and holding him in place, he's probably the only person strong enough to hold him. The men stare at one another, their chests rising in anger. The camp is silent following the outburst until the sound of thundering hooves breaks the silence.

"Y/N...I SAW...*gasp*...Y/N !" Lenny throws himself from his horse his arms and legs flailing as he stumbles over to the group.
"In town...*gasp*...Y/N". He leans forward with his hands on his knees, trying to collect the breath he needs to continue.

The gang gathers around, startled by Lenny's sudden entrance into camp.
"Breathe Lenny, what did you see? Hosea urges.
"She's...in Valentine...with Colm, at the doctor's office."
Arthur grabs Lenny eyes wide and wild. "Is she okay, what were they doing with her!?"
Charles lays a hand on Arthur's shoulder silently telling him to let Lenny go.

Released from Arthur's grasp Lenny continues. "I was in the General Store talking to Hosea's contact. When I came out, I heard her scream my name but Colm grabbed her, stopped her from saying any more. I had my gun out but there were three of them and I didn't stand a chance!"
Arthur begins to pace, running his hands through his hair anxiously.
"Go on Lenny." Hosea prompts, his eyes following Arthur back and forth.
"Colm said he took her to get even."
Arthur freezes, eyes meeting Dutch's and glaring. This was about the money. 

At least Dutch has the decency to pale.

"But then he said something else..." Lenny continues.
"What did he say, Lenny?" Arthur grits through his teeth. He's practically seething with anger and right now he's ready to shoot Dutch as much as he is Colm.
"He said he didn't care about the money no more. Said he'd forgiven Dutch, but he was going to keep her anyway. Said she was his now..."
"WHAT!?" Hosea, Charles, and John shout in unison.

Silently Arthur turns and heads to his horse, he'd heard enough.
"Arthur! Where are you going?" Dutch yells as he and the others march after him.
Arthur doesn't stop just continues until he reaches Boadicea and unhitches her. "I'm going to get her back."
The men are unhitching their horses and mounting up, already laden with their guns. Dutch swings his leg over The Count and pulls him level with Arthur.
Arthur's head whips to the side. "What are you doing?"
"I'm the reason she's in this mess, I'm getting her out of it."
Arthur stares at him before silently nodding and spurring his horse on.
"C'mon boys, let's go get our Y/N back!" Dutch calls to the men as they race forward after Arthur.

Arthur doesn't know what he's feeling at that moment other than rage. As he pushes his horse to the limits, he thinks over what Lenny had said. Colm said she was his... Images flash in his mind at what those words could mean, had they touched you? He spurs Boadicea on at the thought, she protests with a snort as her hooves continue to thunder at full speed. He couldn't risk Y/N slipping away, they'd finally seen you after a week, and they were so close.

Could he get to you before something happened? Something she couldn't recover from.