Betrayal in Rhodes

John feels your body is tense against his as you draw closer to camp, he watches your fingers fiddle nervously with the leather of Old Boy's reins. The poor horse shakes his head in protest as you tighten and release against his mouth, giving a brief snort in annoyance.

"It's going to be okay y'know?"

"Wha-? Oh yea... I know." Your mind is still trying to piece together the right way to tell Arthur you're pregnant. You don't doubt that Arthur would protect you and your child with his life, but the knowledge of his previous fatherhood complicates things. Arthur had already lost one child, could he handle the stress and worry of raising another child safely in this uncertain lifestyle?

"You worried about how the old man is gonna react?" John chuckles. Despite you and John being only ten years younger than Arthur, he loved riling him about his age. Often calling him 'Old man' or 'cradle snatcher' due to your and Arthur's age difference.

You elbow John in the side, biting your lip to hide your smirk. You appreciated that John could always make a joke, no matter how serious the atmosphere, you'd no doubt that that was part of the reason Abigail fell in love with him.

"Stop calling him that, and yes I don't exactly have experience in telling someone they're going to be a Father. How did Abigail tell you?"

John shuffles behind you in the saddle and clears his throat, remembering how he reacted when Abigail had told him about Jack. He'd gotten angry, accused her of sleeping around, and throwing her old profession back in her face, he'd denied the baby was his. "I don't think I'm the best example. Don't think too much about it, Morgan has twice the brains I do, just give it to him straight. Besides, I'd be more worried about telling him what you said to me earlier, you can't be serious about bringing Keiron with us can you?"

Now it's your turn to squirm in the saddle. "Well...I was kind of hoping you'd tell him."

"Oh no! You must be joking. Morgan'll string me up faster than the hangman. You tell him, but I suggest you tell him after you tell him you're pregnant, that way he's less likely to kill you."

Rolling your eyes,  elbowing him again playfully in the ribs, a satisfying pained grunt leaving his mouth.

Drawing closer to camp you spy Abigail and Jack sitting by the road, Jack playing with a patch of daisies, and Abigail hugging a mug of steaming coffee. Seeing them, John springs from the back of Old Boy and rushes over to collect Abigail in a tight hug.

"What're you doing out here?" he releases her and scans her body, trying to gauge if somethings wrong.

"I couldn't wait in camp, not with Arthur being there. How'd it go, how're you feeling?" She asks and you dismount Old Boy. You pat his neck, thanking him for carrying you both safely home, he swings his head to you searching for a treat, when he finds none, he huffs and turns his attention to the grass.

"I didn't go through with it. John actually helped change my mind."

Her eyes widen in shock and relief as a wide smile spreads across her face. Rushing over she gathers you into a tight embrace, mouthing a 'thank you' to John over your shoulder.

"If you didn't go through with it, what took you both so long? Wait..." She looks around Old Boy and back at you and John. "Where's Caesar?"

"We uh ran into some trouble." John begins to explain to her what happened in town and how you lost your horse as you nod along and fill in any gaps.

"Jesus, they're that close to camp?" she asks as you both finish recounting the events.

"Yea, I gotta go tell Dutch and figure out what he wants to do." John takes Old Boy from you as you begin walking back into camp. You and Abigail exchange nervous glances, knowing Dutch is going to want to retaliate and after just getting your men back, and with Arthur more worse for wear than the others, neither of you are keen to see them ride out again to fight.