twelve

listen to if u wanna stay by sweatcult

delany

i take another baked potato from the platter and start mashing it up with my fork, mixing it with the gravy. "you're disgusting.", lisa mumbles next to me and i stick out my tongue at her.

"give it a rest, will you?", michael corner snaps at lisa and she scoffs. "oh, you are such a bore.", she replies to him sassily and i almost snort up my mouthful of mashed potatoes as i laugh.

"shut it!", penelope clearwater hisses at us. she was our prefect and i had to be honest, but i feared her. she had recently. broken up with percy weasley and was in an even worse temper than she usually was.

i scrap the rest of my mashed potato together and scoop it into my mouth. i glance over at the slytherin table, which i had a perfect view of, and see draco talking to blaise zabini.

i had almost kissed him earlier. some animal instinct in me had wanted to feel his lips on mine, to move with him in sync. to join our souls.

and then he dashed off. left me my herbology notes. left me empty.

i smack myself mentally. i hadn't felt anything like this ever, why should i be feeling it now? and towards my born nemesis? this didn't add up.

i snap back into reality as ginny weasley sits down at our table next to michael and they start snogging. lisa fakes a gag and we all laugh as michael and ginny pull apart, the latter rolling her eyes at us.

she directs her attention towards penelope and starts gossiping with her. "i heard cho was dropping from her position as seeker.", i hear her say and i frown as i look at penelope.

"really?", i question and penelope drinks a gulp of her water, nodding solemnly. "yeah, she said she needed more time to study for her NEWTs. you know what her mother is like.", she adds.

i look down at my empty plate and lick my lips, looking back up and across the hall to the hufflepuff table. i catch cedrics eye immediately and pull out my wand, sneakily tossing a spell in his direction.

his hand grabs the back of his head and he turns around, looking at me sternly. he knows i'm the only one who'd do that. i smirk and nod towards the doors. he smiles and we get up simultaneously, striding out of the hall.

"what do you want, you lousy witch.", he mumbles and i shove him gently, making him laugh as he almost topples over. we walk along the hall and stop by a window.

looking out, i could see hagrid's hut, a warm glow coming from the windows. "cho chang is quitting the team.", i tell him and he claps his hands together.

"let me guess, you're going to try out, aren't you?", he whispers in a sly voice and i look at him, raising my eyebrows. "scared i'll beat you, diggory?", i smirk and he scoffs.

"as if! you'll need to catch snitch a bunch of times before you have my level of expertise.", he calls out and straightens himself, pulling his shoulders back and puffing his chest out, hitting it twice with his fist.

i laugh and wipe fake tears from my face. "you are so full of yourself, cedric dickory.", i mock and he jabs me in the ribs with his elbow. i wince and laugh, shutting my eyes.

with cedric, everything was so easy. he was like the part of me that was missing, the part where i could feel emotions, express them. it wasn't a challenge around him, it just came naturally.

"well, you should definitely try out, del.", he admits and i open my eyes to see him carrying one of his classic smiles, charming and friendly. "i could give you some private training, too.", he suggests and i smirk.