thirteen

listen to like you do by joji

delany:

i walk quietly into the room and see that there's candles atop the piano, lighting up the room. he stands by the landing of the balcony and i shut the door.

"muffliato.", he chants from across the room and i gulp, holding my arm with the hand of the other. he strides towards me and more candles alight on the windowsills.

"you're late.", he says and i raise my eyebrows at him. "didn't know i was being timed.", i retort and he scoffs.

"you were the one who said you had three hours left and now they are up so tell me your choice.", he snaps and i step back, away from him.

he wasn't usually this aggressive. or maybe he was.

i couldn't think straight. he made my thoughts go in a frenzy. that could either be a good or a bad thing, it depended on what he said and when he did.

"give a breather, malfoy, i just got here.", i hiss at him and walk to the piano, pulling my robes off and tossing them onto the floor.

i start to play a melody when his hand collided with a bunch of tiles, making a horrendous sound that made me jump up.

"draco!", i yell at him and look up to see his eyes burning into me. his posture was dominant, towering over me, his shoulders broad and gaze fixed onto me.

"tell me now.", he commands and i get up, not entirely leveling up to him but at least making the margin disappear.

"you want to know? you do?! well, then, let me tell you! let me fucking tell you!", i scream and he chuckles softly, looking down at the floor.

"there she is, the little, bratty demon inside you.", he whispers and i shove him hard. he staggers backwards slightly and looks up at me, a kind of pain flickering on his face.

he steps towards me again and he takes ahold of my hand, pulling me towards him. i stumble forward clumsily and he keeps me upright.

our faces are close and i can hear him breathing. i can smell the heavy scent that trailed off of him. green apples and musk.

"remember what i said?", he asks me. "this is your safe place. our safe place, if you want it to be.", he reminds me and i lick my lips, looking at his mouth move.

my heart is picking up it it's pace involuntarily and my breathing is hitching. goosebumps spread along my skin as he raises his hand to push back my hair from my face.

"why would i need a safe place, malfoy.", i grit my teeth, as if to act tough. but i already know it's hopeless. i'm going to fail either way, i know it.

he puts his thumb on my collarbone and presses against it softly, looking down at my chest. i don't feel uncomfortable, for some reason.

"because something inside you is lost and it needs a place where it can be free.", he whispers softly and suddenly pulls me against him, his free hand traveling to my waist as the other holds our arms out.

he mutters something and the piano springs to life as it starts to play a soft tune that i recognize.  my eyes widen and he starts moving us to the tune.

"how did you...?", i begin but lose my train of thought when his eyes meet mine again, flashing in the moonlight.

"moonlight sonata. it's your favorite, isn't it?", he confirms and i nod slowly as he tries to twirl me. i freeze in the middle of the motion and can feel our conjoined hands drop to my side.

then i feel him, close behind me, his chest must be inches away from my back. again, that scent is not to be ignored by my senses as i breathe in deeply.