Why do you care grounder girl? / John Murphy

I followed this boy to a cave. He slowed down and shoved the creepers away to reveal the entrance to his rugged shelter. I warily pushed the leaves aside to get a closer look at him.   

Should I talk to him? I have to report him to my people. Why was he here in the first place? He was one of the sky people. I heard terrible things about them, but this one didn't seem to pose a danger. The whole time he held his arm tightly to his chest, and I saw some bruises on his neck too. He was injured.             

My curiosity won because that's what always happens. I had to find out more about him. My parents would be furious if they knew what I was about to do, but they will hopefully never find out.

During the process of my decision, the boy had entered the cave. Through the plants, I could see him desperately trying to light a fire. 

I left my hideout and walked soft-footed over to the entrance. Before I walked in, I observed him from afar for a moment. He was so different than the guys I knew. Before I could change my mind, I stepped inside.                                                                                                                                                        

"Why are you here?" I said, looking towards the handsome stranger leaned over a pile of wood. He had managed to light up a fire.  

He turned his head in my direction. He tried to hide his obvious scare of my sudden appearance behind an amused smile.

"Do you always barge into someone's home like that?"       

"I usually don't, but first off, I have never seen one of the sky people walking alone and injured through the forest without the protection of guns, and second off, I had to check out the stranger who hides in a cave near my village. You could have been a threat."         

"So you think I am not a threat?"               

 "Well, I don't know that yet."         

Silence    

"How did you hurt yourself?" I asked out of pure interest.    

 He looked slightly down " I...cut my arm on a sharp rock," he said to evade.     

"And on your neck?"     

"It is part of why I am out here and not with my people," he emphasized the "my" which made me conclude that something bad has happened between them. "It's a long story"      

I objected, "I have time till dusk,"        

 "Well then, sit down but don't kill me, please. " he said jokingly " I had some bad encounters with other grounders. Literally, all of them wanted to kill me,"                                                       

 "I can't promise anything, it depends on what you say, but I'll try my best," I sat down next to him.                                                                                                                                                                                               

He told me everything. He didn't show many emotions, but I could see how much the situation had affected him. I, with my 17 years of living, have witnessed plenty of terrifying punishments. It was nearly normal for me even though the screams haunt me every lonely night. I can only imagine how horrible and misunderstood he must feel.

However, since I saw those tortures, to abide by the rules has always been in the back of my head.   

Before I could think twice, I reached out and gently stroked his hand. At the first touch of our hands, I could feel him twitch beneath my hand. He was so absorbed in his story that our sudden contact shocked him. Or maybe it was something else...   

 His gaze snapped down. To my surprise, for a brief moment, his thumb stroked the back of my hand. Then the moment was over and, he swiftly pulled his hand away. He sealed himself off from me.                               

"Why don't you go back to your people?" His voice had a harsh tone. 

"I will, but I am gonna get you something for your arm and some food," I said in complete calm.  

  "Why do you do this?" He questioned; he seemed confused about my intentions.      

"I can't just leave you here all alone. You are going to die." I honestly replied.

 "Why do you care grounder girl?"      

 I didn't answer. I got up, turned around, and left. I was about to thrust aside the curtains of the curtain of plants, as a hand on my wrist held me back. I faced John.             

His lips were open as if he wanted to say something, but they were now closed. Although his face was fully overshadowed, I could clearly perceive his eyes. We were already standing really close, but we converged even closer. My gaze was now drawn to his lips. His breath tickled me slightly.                                         

"Thank you," he whispered so close that I could feel every word that passed his lips.   

His grip on my waist was followed by his lips finding mine. His lips moved with mine and for the time span of the kiss everything around me went silent; all of my Problems became irrelevant .We parted just for the need of air.               

As my eyes fluttered opened the view of his heavy-lidded eyes and his reddened lips, were presented to me. I tried to take this picture in, in the hope of never forgetting it. Suddenly a crackling noise was audible behind me. It brought me back to reality.                                       

"I have to go,"    

And with that, I went off into the darkness.