What was the meaning of this? Part 3 / John Murphy

After Finn joined us again, we continued walking. According to the map, the village we were seeking was not far away. We walked on at a quicker pace because the light began to fade away. Everything was still visible, but there was not much time until you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

The three of us walked next to each other as close as the trees and forest floor allowed us. Murphy's head looked straight ahead even though my eyes slipped over to him from time to time. He must have noticed my glances; his eyes flickered a little every time.

My mind began to drift away while my feet held a steady pace. I didn't think about anything in particular. I was only absorbed in stray thoughts.

Even though I was totally zoned out, my gaze pointed ahead. Then I vaguely noticed lighter spots in front of me. They pulled me out of my head and back to our destination.

My first reaction was to grab Murphy's arm, which stopped him abruptly. I looked over the little confused glance he gave me."That's the village. Stay down. Be quiet." I said towards both of them. I had lowered my voice without hiding the uproar in it.

They reacted immediately, ducking down to avoid being noticed by the grounders. Finn showed us with a quick wave of the hand to advance closer. We kneeled behind a rock hidden between the shrubbery. Because in my position I had the best view of the village, Murphy handed me his gun. His fingertips grazed over my hand as he let it go. My attention stayed a little too long on him, just like his warm fingerprints, which were still perceptible as I placed the gun on the stone. I lowered my head to take a look through the scope of the rifle.

"How many are there?" Murphy whispered, closer to my ear than I ex

pected him to be.

His sudden closeness put me off my stride. "About 28," I responded after a few seconds; I needed to focus on counting again. "But I see none of our people."

I turned my head towards them. We agreed to go in stealth-wise under the curtain of twilight. Finn asked us to stay there while he wanted to scout out the village from up close. I wondered why he needed to do that, but his pleading eyes convinced me. The next moment he lurked near the grounder's food storage.

Murphy and I were alone, huddled behind a rock. At first, my eyes watched Finn leaving, but Murphy's presence on my right was hard to ignore. He hadn't moved an inch since I counted the people.

"Y/N."

"Yes?"

"It was nice talking to you"

"I...um...I thought so too."

My head slowly motions to the side. I dared to look him directly in the eyes; It was like we continued right where we left off. My breath became uneven. His eyes told me there was so much more he wanted to say, but right now, there was no need to say it out loud. The feeling of excitement that usually accompanied our interactions showed up just as quickly as we locked eyes with each other.

I gave him a last piercing look from under my eyelashes to see him totally grasped by my pursed lips. He seemed to crave me just as much as I wanted him. The coldness of his sudden touch on my cheek caused an unintended reaction on my side: My lips parted with a barely audible smack. It was followed by the vibration of air tingling on my lips as he shakily exhaled. Time stopped passing. We were just in the moment, enjoying this closure, sucking up the drumroll before the kiss. The first one to indulge the tension, begging to be released, was Murphy. With a gentle pull, he brought his lips to mine. My eyes fluttered shut as our lips moved in sync, exposing me to the sensation I've been longing for.

This kiss measured up to my expectation even surpassed them. Who could predict he would know exactly where to place his hands? Or it was just a coincidence how one hand grazed over the during the heat of the moment exposed skin on my waist to send shivers up my spin while the other one laid on my neck, guiding the kiss.

The gun, still halfhearted held in my hand, slipped to the ground. So absorbed in the kiss that our lack of balance forced us to clumsily sink to the ground, me falling on top, reminding me of our first physical encounter. How badly I wanted to kiss him then.

On our way down we had to slightly part, but as soon as I had the chance I united our lips again. At this point, I strangled his waist while his hands lowered to roam over my thighs.

I giggled as a fern entangled in my hair. We separated to let him help me to free the strand of mine. The tiny smirk he gave me left me no choice but to crack a smile as well.

Raving yells shifted our attention back to the real world. Both of us jumped up into a sitting position.

My hair flew up, then regained gravity and landed again with a swift motion, tingling his jawline."I can't see Finn anywhere." His concerned tone was justified.My mood changed into Anger within seconds, knowing something bad was about to happen. I interrupted him before he could say anything else.

"Where is he? He can't just disappear into thin air. If he does something stupid, I am gonna...""Look!" It seemed to be our thing to interrupt each other. I follow Murphy's glance, my eyes widened, but it was already too late. The reason for the shout became clearly visible; more specific it flamed up. Hungry flames brighten up the area, throwing an orange shine around them. The food storage burned well, shifting the attention of all villagers towards it.

A quick kiss for the way and we were ready to face whatever Finn had done. And let's say this became a tradition before 'Battle'. 

Sorry, it took me so long to write this.

 I wrote my finals and the last weeks were very stressful. 😥

But spring break just began and I have more time to write now.