Sunset / John Murphy

That stupid smile. That stupid and intoxicating smile. Followed by another secret glance from afar. It was really hard to focus on dividing out the rations. Trying to pay attention to my work I lowered my head. How could this man hold a casual conversation with four other guys while making me on the other side of the camp feel flustered?

This "thing" between us has been going on for way too long now. It started with us getting assigned for the night shift. We had to protect the camp. Due to the amount of time, we had to kill we basically couldn't not talk and get to know each other. It was mostly just jokes and in between a few serious conversations. He even allowed me to call him John. Nevertheless, neither of us could deny the chemistry we had when we were together.

The next morning we separated and went on with our everyday life. Both of us never really spoke about that night again. We never had a chance to. And there were also so many other problems we had to worried about. Through the lack of contact, we caught ourselves looking in each other's directions. Some accidental soft touches of hands while walking past each, some secret smiles from across the room. This tension built up over time. We both felt it and so did I now.

My gaze wandered to him again. He was now focused on a discussion with Bellamy. John was visibly upset. They began to argue loudly. It looked like they were about to attack each other, but I saw Bellamy say something that silenced John. It made him look to the ground.

 Bellamy walked away. John's eyes still on the ground and he seemed to be deep in thoughts. Maybe he noticed my stare or just looked up although his gaze lifted and met my stare. I was caught. His eyes told me he was unhappy but they softened at my sight. We shared another one of these intense glimpses. 

This personal moment was rudely interrupted by one of my friends who just had to ask me right now if she could borrow a blanket from my tent. And which I later found out she already took before asking.

After she left I was just thinking whether I should look up to john or stay focused as I heard a quiet "Hey" behind me. Just by voice, I knew who it was. His face was light up by the flickering fire. "John?" I asked perplexed. I felt so caught thinking about him.

"Yeah. Come on!" that was everything he said before he went between the tents. Confused I stood up and looked around. Surprisingly no one seemed to pay attention to me or my potential disappearance. Cautious I backed further away. Among the tents, I slowed down. Where is he? Suddenly strong hands pulled me by the waist. My first reaction was to be scared but then I remembered again why I was here. John.I knew it was him.

"Murphy stop that!" I laughed playfully upset.

He let me go and stepped in front of me. He laughed. "Just follow me, okay?" Before I could react he reached for my hand. He went ahead with big steps but didn't let go of my hand.We moved further away from the camp. We walked a little higher up the hill. The noises of the others faded in the distance. He guided me to a few rocks.
"Turn around"

I did as I was told. In front of me, you could overlook the camp and the forest it was surrounded by. The Lights from our people light up the dusk like a massive fire. The view was so beautiful.I just stood there, silently admiring the sight, until John spoke up again.

"Impressive! Isn't it?""It is so beautiful. How did you find it""Two days ago while hunting I followed an animal up here. I just had to show this to someone. And you were the first one who came to my mind."I just smiled happily at him a response.

We started to talk again like back in the night we met. He let it all out about the discussion. We spoke about our childhoods and both agreed on better not to think about them anymore. We laughed a lot as well. He told me he hasn't laughed like that in a long time and I promised to be there more often to make him laugh. We had a great night.

 At dawn, we still sat there, his arm around me, my head on his shoulder.

I opened my eyes to the most splendid colors painted on the sky. I sat up and just took in the view in daylight. Besides me, a sleepy John sat up straight.

He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. "Wow," he said dedicated to the view I thought.I nodded and glanced at John. But he wasn't even looking at the sunset. He was looking at me.

We shared a gaze full of admiration. Our faces now barely apart. Our lips hovered only inches away from each other for a few seconds before they slightly brush. It was like electricity flowed through my body. His hand grazed over my cheek. Then he pulled me closer again to connect our lips fully. I leaned into the kiss. Wanting more of this. More of him.

And that was how we shared our first breathtaking kiss at sunrise.