Impatient / John Murphy

I walked as silent as I could. I followed the hushed voices. I could identify Titus, Lexa's flamekeeper. I had to listen to many of his speeches already; I was sure it was him in there, raising his voice. I tried my hardest to catch at least a sentence. I was sent just for this purpose, to find out everything about the flame. Between his fainted words, a loud slap sound was audible. I believed to catch groans of pain, but so quiet it could be my mind playing tricks on me. Later I could clearly hear the voice of a boy. I wondered who could be with Titus in the room. I couldn't think of a situation where this would make sense.

Before I could think again, the door crackly opened a bit. Within a second, I covered my appearance in the shadow of a dark corner. I could feel the cold Beton walls through my clothes. My heart beat fast against my chest due to the fear of still being visible to the approaching man. I held my breath as his steps grew closer.

My eyes closed, accepting whatever would happen. The relief rushed over me and a sigh of relief slipped through my lips when his steps finally died away in the distance. I gathered my thoughts and headed towards the mysterious door, agog what was behind it. Or better phrased who.

Lighted shined through the open crack, but I couldn't distinguish anything. My hand automatically grabbed the handle and pushed the door open.

My eyes needed a few seconds to adjust the light after being in the dark for so long. Candles cast a warm glim over the few unusual furniture items like a tall metal thing and some cupboards. The most conspicuous piece of furniture was the chair in the middle of the room. Or more precisely, the shirtless boy tied to it. My mouth gaped. That was really not what I expected. His chest was covered with bruises, cuts, and dirt. His head had turned to my figure standing in the doorframe as soon as he heard the creaking of the door.

"Are you here to hit me some more," His voice dripping from sarcasm. "I don't know more than I already told!" In his last words, he couldn't hide his exhaustion. He tried to cover it up with a supercilious grin.

I was a little taken back by his attitude, but I quickly pulled myself together and answered: "No, that wasn't my intention. But I sure will if you upset me."

"Good, then what do you want?"

"Tell me everything about the flame. What do you know about the city of light?" I demanded.

"So you came here to interrogate me. Great. Another one. How many times do I have to repeat that."

I approached him now, facing him directly, keeping my eyes glued to him. His stubborn eyes stared at me as if he attempted to look right into my soul, right through my plans, but his reddened half-closed lid made him less intimidating. Titus had more strength than I presumed.

"Tell me everything you told him."

"You think I do that again. And what do I get from this?" he laughed.

"I'll set you free. I mean only if you want to." I teased.

He shot me an annoyed glare and rolled his eyes, but then he started talking. He told me everything he knew. Even though his indifferent tone, I could tell that he was telling the truth.

"That's all."

"One more thing. Why didn't you take it?" I stepped closer

"Take what he leaned forward nearly challenging me.

"The key," I said, looking down at him unintendedly forcing him to tilt his head up to keep eye contact.

"I had a bad feeling about it. Besides that Jaha offered it to me and he is the last person you should trust." he stopped "Now untie me," he demanded.

"Impatient, aren't we?"

I stepped between his legs and leaned down to his level. I kneeled to have better access while untying him. I thought I perceived his head inching closer in the corner of my eye. My focus stayed on unraveling the knot in front of me, although I had to admit his amazed gaze made concentrating hard.

The bounds slipped off his hand and fell to the ground. He was free. However, he didn't rush to the door or even attempted to stand up like I thought he would. I looked up at him right into his brown eyes. Our faces still so close we feel each other breathe. His was a delicate sensation on my cool lips. The breathing of my counterpart speed up the smaller the gap between us grew. We both meet in the middle. His lips crashing on mine. My hand fell onto his thighs for support and his fingers tangled in my hair to deepen the kiss. His lips grazed over mine one more time before we breathless separated.

"By the way. What's your name?" I asked still, catching m breath.

"Murphy." He said, "John Murphy."

"Nice to meet you, John!" I pushed myself up and left John, who still hasn't moved from his chair. The stunned look on his face was the last thing I saw of him.