Chapter Twenty Two: Disappointment

Saihara's POV:

I tried not to get anxious in the crowded subway, pulling my scarf closer as I thought over what Momota had told me.

He's right...I'm expecting too much...I promised Ouma patience. I'm just going to have to work with what time he needs...I just...

I checked my phone filled with notes and meeting arrangements I needed to fill, all the people I had spent hours on connecting to the members of DICE and my billboard at home stuck together with case evidence.

If Ouma was just a bit better...this could be over...if I could just convince him we need to go to another police station, that he needs to confess the truth not just to the law but the world at large...

But I can't ask him that.

Because I still remember the terror on his face we he finally showed his back full of scars to me. Not to mention the mental scars, how can I ask him, to trust the same people who allowed the person responsible for those scars to run free? To be remembered as a hero rather than the true monster he is?

I...I can't.

I carried that train of thought as I left my station and walked around the city. The dark gray sky hung above me taunting rain as I finally grabbed my keys and unlocked the door to my home, taking off my-

I stared shocked at a pair of brown shoes. The brown work shoes he always wore, the briefcase that was on the nearby table and the dirty old coat he always forgot to wash.

"Finally, Shoto you told me he was going to be home today" my father chastised annoyed. "Boy has a life Meiji, I can't know everything" my Uncle said rolling his eyes.

I could feel his cold eyes peering into me as I felt my body shake despite my silent begging to myself to hold firm, to not show this amount of vulnerability.

He walked towards me, crossing his arms as he looked down on me with a disappointed and tired face.

"You said you were taking him away to train him Shoto, but look. More than four months and he's still shaking in fear? I wasn't aware the great successor to our agency was going to be a mouse" my father remarked with a venomous voice.

My Uncle looked uncomfortable as he tried to reason with my father, "the boy can't be expected to be perfect still, just give him some more time-"

"Why do you think I sent him to you then Shoto?! You're the one who convinced me this would be a worthy investment but clearly now I see this was just a waste of time, the only reason I haven't taken him back earlier is due to that child you keep convincing me will somehow change Shuichi! Make him stronger. But look at him, can't even stand up for himself to his own father, how can we expect him to stand up to a criminal? It's pointless." My father scolded as he scoffed in indifference.

"I'm getting a drink" was his last comment as he headed deeper into the house.

My Uncle looked at me hesitantly as if he wanted to say something before he followed my fathers lead. I gripped my fists tighter taking a few deep breaths.

It's fine...I'm used to this...I should be used to this...

...

He's right. I've been useless to everyone here. I need to work harder. I need to...

...

I need to save him.

I took off my shoes and carefully made my way to my bedroom- no the guest bedroom, taking out the billboard.

The board was messy with red string and sticky notes, with loose ideas added on ripped pieces of paper.

I started to tear parts of it apart, not good enough. How much am I just not seeing it? There has to be more. I'm missing something, I need to do this....

I can't fail. I refuse to...

Taking a deep breath and rubbing my eyes I headed to lock the door and closed the blinds of my room along with checking my phone...

1 New Email

Kiibo

Hey Ouma was wondering if you could come over sometime? He needs to talk to you about something.

Thanks :D

Delete?

Yes    Cancel

Deleted

0 New Messages