Chapter Thirty Four: Clear Skies

Saihara's POV:

I don't know if I should feel happy or sad. Maybe I should feel guilty if anything.

I walked home as I cursed myself over not being able to help Ouma, this day...this day was a rollercoaster to say the least.

I had been terrified that Ouma would never accept my feelings for him. Of what would happen if he did, I never knew friendship or love like this before and if I lost it....

I opened the door to my home. Aunt Jin was in the kitchen and I could smell some form of dumplings but the news of Ouma's mothers death and the anxiety of my new relationship with Ouma stole my appetite.

Ouma's Mom...I had only met her once, she looked like such a frail woman. Momota told me Ouma's father had abused her before he was gone.

She was also young, maybe as old as my mother had been when she died. Ouma's lost both his parents now...

...I guess we have that in common.

I opened the door to my room-

"It's irresponsible to keep evidence out in the open like this, even if you have blinds covering the windows" my father scolded as I stood there petrified.

"What? Gone mute son?" He asked dismissing, "when Shoto told me you had been piecing a case together...well I expected a bit more. I knew I shouldn't have expected much from you" he sighed.

"F-Father..." I tried to speak but the words escaped me, "still, some of these things in a wild and stretched way can be connected to your theory I suppose...still you should have just handed this over to me or your Uncle, it's clearly much to advanced a case for someone like you" he remarked.

Someone like you...

"No" I mumbled. He turned to face me a hint of shock on his face before it turned back to disappointment. "What was that Shuichi?" He asked coldly.

I took a deep breath, "no Father, I won't be handing over this case despite it's challenges. I want to, no I need to solve this case. The person who I care about most has trusted me with this and I'm not going to just hand it over because it's hard or because I don't have as much experience or resources.

"I would...if you would like to help I would be honored but...you can't take this away from me...please don't, I know you doubt me but...I think I can do this...

"I can make you proud" I spoke up, I felt fear racing through me as my Father just continued looking over the board.

I clenched my fist before I sighed, what had I expected?

"One month" he told me, "what?" I asked, "you heard me, one month to finish this case, or I'll take over instead. I'll give you of course credit for the case as despite it's many faults and loose ends I still believe it can be worth something but Shuichi I won't stand idly by if it does indeed fail on your part. Do you understand?" He asked.

I nodded, unsure if this was real or not, "and one more thing...this all hinges on a story told to you by this young man...but there's been no testimony by him...fix that." He advised patting me on the shoulder as he left the room. The door slammed shut behind him.

...

I took a deep breath, one month.

One month left or I'll lose all control on this case, it had been more than what I was expecting but...

...

Someone like you...

I held my hands tightly together to calm down, I can handle this, I'm used to this, I can...

'Doesn't a friendship have to go both ways? You helped me, so let me help you" he pleaded.

Hesitant I grabbed my phone and sent a reluctant message.