Chapter Forty Seven : Of the Stars

Momota's POV:

The machines creaked loudly as I tried once again in vain to sit up in bed. I don't know why I keep trying anymore, I know that even if I managed today I would just end up not being able to do it tomorrow.

It was like that with my legs,
It was like that with my arms,
And now I couldn't feel my chest.

I sighed and thanked every lucky star in the sky that Maki Roll didn't have to see me like this right now, she had to spend extra time at her orphanage looking after the kids.

I hoped she wouldn't have to see me when I couldn't speak anymore, or even see her anymore.

The dull noises of the hospital left me an uneasy feeling as I stared at the dull blue walls prepared for me. These walls might be the last thing I see.

When I came here...I sighed, I had told everyone I would be coming back. That Kaito Momota wouldn't die to some illness.

Worst part is I believed those words back then, I believed them even when I lost my hair, when I couldn't eat anymore, and when my body no longer moved.

I want to keep believing those words, eighteen years of life couldn't be enough life to live. It couldn't ever be enough. There were places all across the world left to see, people to meet, experiences of one day asking Maki Roll to marry me...

But...I wouldn't even be able to see spring again-

The door opened and I looked over confused...

A wooden cane tapped against the door, and a almost white golden retriever sniffed around the room and waited patiently as a stumbling person entered the room, they gripped onto the leash and cane for dear life and yet weren't nearly as hunched over then they had been for years.

Amythest hair had been tied into a small ponytail, and a white collared shirt and checkered styled pants with a black belt and...I laughed at seeing the platform shoes pitifully, as they lowered their black face mask and faced me with a warm smile.

"Hi Kaito" he greeted, and my eyes widened as Ouma said my name for the first time.

I'm not crying, just sweating through my eyes.

"I would have come sooner...but I got the brilliant idea that I wouldn't come visit till I could walk into your room with my own two feet.

"Easier said then done, my legs are kind of killing me right now, and even though DICE let's me take a million breaks I still feel bad for them.

"Oh I got a dog, his name is DICE and I think you know why. This isn't like a goofy dog though, he's super serious and on the job. Knew it was only a matter of time till I became friends with someone boring." he joked.

"He's a very good dog if he can keep up with you" I joked. "What? How could you? I'm so hurt" he joked laughing, a real laugh.

"Hey...for real though...Kaito I've had a lot of time to grow up these past months...and I just wanted to say, thank you. Kaito when I woke up from that coma I just wanted to die, and yet you always saved me.

"I think I hated you for that, I think a part of me hated you when you kept telling me there was still beauty in this world and that there was still something out there for me.

"Because I didn't believe it, how could I have I guess? When that world kept breaking me?

"But...Kaito I don't know how many times you needed to save my life anymore-"

"Twelve" I told him with a dry voice.

His eyes widened at that before they shifted to a small bit of sad acceptance, "thought it was more than that to be honest..." Ouma admitted.

"I'm glad it wasn't" I told him. He nodded, "it shouldn't have had to be more than once though...no one would have blamed you back then if you abandoned me. Because they already did.

"But you stayed Kaito, you always stayed with me, even when I didn't want you to, even though I wasn't even nice to you before that happened you saved me each and every single time and now I can say with confidence...

"I'm glad I'm still alive.

"I wish I wasn't the only one that day...and you wish that to don't you? Is that why you tried so hard with me? Because it was to late for them?

"I don't know what I'm going to do now Kaito...I don't know what future I'm going after, but...Kaito thank you for giving me a chance to figure that out, and for that day...

"Thank you for being my best friend" he finished off and I gasped, but he didn't seem to even doubt the truth to those words.

"But...she..." I started but Ouma shook his head, "she'll always have a place...but you're my best friend Kaito...I know...I know its only a matter of time till you have to leave me...

"I wish I could save you Kaito...I really do...so instead..." he started and I saw him wipe away tears as he gave me a giant smile.

"Capture this moment ok? So if I don't see you again....you'll know at least I know how to smile again" he asked with a wavering voice.

This boy...no this man standing in front of me had been nothing of the boy I had left behind all those days ago and I thanked the stars.

He wouldn't have to do this alone anymore, even when I'm gone.

"I'll remember gremlin" I told him as he laughed, "gremlin? It's been years Kaito" he joked.

"I know Kokichi, I know."