Chapter Fifty Four: Missing

Saihara's POV:

I walked across the street plaza and looked around for Kokichi, it was getting late, and being out when it was this dark was making me nervous and grateful my Uncle would likely be able to take us home. I don't want to know what walking around in this town after dark was like, though I'm sure Ouma-

I glanced at the ground as I saw traces of scarlet...

I quickly snapped to attention and looked for the source of the color as I found myself trailing down a small alleyway corner, hunched against the wall was the person we had stayed behind for. Aito's face was covered in blood and bruises like he had been violently beaten and shoved against the wall, he was barely conscious as his dazed eyes met me. Nearby on the wall as well was Dice, he seemed to have been knocked unconscious, his leg also covered in blood and...Kokichi's cane was left discarded on the street.

I rushed to the boy's side and screamed down the alley for someone to come and get help, as the boy looked at me, "Aito! Aito what happened?" I asked, hoping he could answer, he dug into his pocket with what seemed like broken fingers and tugged out a small flash drive. I carefully took it and ignored the caked blood dust.

"I know...I know the...he came...he...." he muttered, "what?" I asked confused as Aito winced, the sounds of hurried footsteps were approaching, "Takura...killed...the man...the man came...I thought...I thought it was safer...this way..." he tried to explain as he started to blackout, "hey! Keep your eyes open!" I begged, "it hurts..." he mumbled.

"I know, ok I know, the man took Kokichi, he was the one with the scar right?" I asked and Aito nodded a little as Kiibo finally approached with some of the adults, "w-what?! What happened?!" Kiibo screamed in panic, "Aito was attacked, and Kokichi has been kidnapped" I explained quickly, "we need to call an ambulance, and take Dice to a vet clinic, but most importantly I need to call my father" I explained.

"We shouldn't stay here though, or Aito shouldn't because he might come back to finish the job" I added, Shiro's father took Aito from me who had fully passed out at this point as I glanced at the flash drive.

A video...if Aito knows what really happened if he knows it was the sub why didn't he just email this to me...or did he not trust the world that much he thought he had to give it to me personally to make sure nothing happened to it?

I grabbed my phone and quickly dialed my father's number, I didn't even bother to say hi, "father Kokichi has been kidnapped by the substitute teacher, remember when I talked to you about the tracker?" I asked.

"The one in the flip phone or the one in the dog's collar?" he asked, "the flip phone, Dice was hurt, can you track him on your end?" I asked begging, "already setting it up, but Shuichi he might have handed the phone off to someone else, so you'll need to also do manual searching, I'll send some of my men from my police department to you but they'll take an hour. So get whatever help you can, you know the area better than me, along with your Uncle so the two of you should be able to figure out where he might've taken him" he advised, "I'm scared" I blurted out not thinking.

"I know son, I know, but fear isn't what's going to help your friend you need to stay calm. Because if you catch that man today, then your whole case will finally reach its end, no matter what happens" he assures me but those last words...

Kokichi, Kokichi I'm so sorry I didn't protect you today. I'm sorry that I didn't do better earlier, but I swear that I'll find you, I'll find you, and even if you can't talk again, even if your heart becomes bitter and resentful, no matter what I will stand by your side.

I turned back to the small remaining crowd of people from the memorial service, I realized how they were looking to me for guidance and leadership, "exchange numbers quickly, he likely hasn't left the city yet, so instead check all four corners of the districts and call every person you know to search any abandoned lots or warehouses you can think of, we're looking for a man with a scar across his eye" I instructed as I rushed to my Uncle who was pulling out a map from a local store they were already mapping out routes he could have taken as I took a deep breath.

I will save you.