Chapter Thirty Five: Courage

Ouma's POV:

I bit my nails nervous as I waited on the rooftop, it was to late in the year for any birds to be around.

The wind was blowing and I felt myself getting colder as I wrapped my jacket around myself.

Did something happen? What if he got hurt? Or what if he decided he didn't want to-

I felt a cold can press against my face as I quickly pulled away gasping as a soft laughter filled the air.

"Sorry..." Saihara apologized, as he handed me the can for real, 'I'll never forgive you' I told him jokingly.

"Well guess I won't have to talk about my problems after all" Saihara said happily, 'nevermind I take it back, and I want the soda' I told him.

"Well...I stood up to my father yesterday...actually wait can we talk about your..." Saihara trailed off.

I paused, 'I don't think...I'll ever know how to feel about my Mom. Sorry Saihara, I just didn't know how to really say it. My Aunt talked with me actually, about her, when they were younger. All night she told me stories and it made me in a sense kind of wish I did get to see that side of my Mom.' I admitted.

"I just wish I could help you, but...I had a very different relationship with my mother so I can't empathize" Saihara said guilty.

'It's fine, I don't think it's even really set in yet...I just get random spouts of sadness...usually when I do something that reminds me of her...' I told him.

"I was like that...that sadness never really goes away though, but overtime at least for me...I also find some comfort in those memories, in a sense it proves to me she did exist. And I remember all the good things still even if they make me sad now" Saihara told me.

...Dice...

'I get it' I told him, 'so what's been happening with you? Kiibo sounded worried you know' I told him.

"Yeah...my father is visiting and well...he found where I was keeping all my evidence...and he gave me an ultimatum" Saihara told me.

I raised an eyebrow confused, "he gave me a time limit...or he'll take the case for himself, I only have maybe a few weeks left to provide undeniable evidence for what happened to make a case on it" Saihara said.

I paused, "he also...needed me to get a confession...a testimony from..." he started but trailed off.

...

'I'll do it' I told him unsure, "what?" Saihara asked confused, 'I don't like talking about it...you know that, but I would rather you solve this than a stranger, so if I have to make a testimony to make sure you're still in charge of this then I'll do it' I told him feeling embarrassed.

For a few moments it was silent till I felt Saihara slip his hand into mine and squeezed it gently, "thank you" he told me. I nodded.

"Thank you Ouma." He repeated and for once I felt some sense of pride, I can do this...I have to do this...

And that's what I repeated to myself all the way to the police station that afternoon.