Chapter Fifty One: My Best Friend

Saihara's POV:

I don't like bragging, but we actually did a decent job on the cane.

The whole thing was black now and we used some varnish to hopefully make it stick on better, and painted on to the best of my ability was also the DICE logo.

We also had stuck on stickers and 'inspirational' quotes from Hot Topic, and the one friendship bracelet we had salvaged from the earlier failed attempt was twisted near the grip.

I mean once you ignore the awful paint job and the short life span of those stickers it was a masterpiece.

"I'm kind of surprised we did this" Kokichi admitted, he was feeling for any sort of bump or paint chips.

There were more than I'd like to admit, so we were filing them down so he wouldn't accidentally cut himself.

"Trust me it looks great" I assured him, Kokichi smiled with pride, but paused and seemed to be focusing on something as I heard footsteps, no someone was running towards us as Dice got up ready for whatever it was.

It was Kiibo though, he had a panicked look on his face, "you didn't answer your phone" he immediately accused, "what?" I asked as I checked my phone. Sure enough three missed calls.

"What's the emergency?" I asked, Kiibl glanced at Kokichi with a look of pity as he wiped tears from his eyes.

"Momota, Harukawa just called me and..." he started but Kokichi stood there petrified.

"Momota's dead." Kiibo said, he almost whispered those words as if breathing them into air was killing Momota himself.

~-~-~

The loss had stolen any of the fun memories we had tried to create that day, and I wasn't at all resentful.

Momota, he was so kind and caring yet I barely had known him at all. He deserved a thousand days of grief for the loss and the tragic short life he had been given.

It wasn't fair.

He was eighteen, just eighteen, and what should've been a promise of a full life ahead had instead cut short right at the cusp of his next chapter.

Kiibo was getting some hot chocolates or something, I didn't listen and instead had turned my full attention over to Kokichi. He didn't cry, like when his mother died.

But unlike his mother, his sadness and grief was more apparent as he absentmindedly pet Dice on the head.

"I'm sorry" I mumbled to him, he leaned against my shoulder stuck in his daze.

"I told him before he died...I gave him permission to die..." he told me and I looked at him in shock.

"Even just hearing his breathing...I knew how much pain he must've been in...before I passed out...I was wishing someone would just kill me already cause it hurt so much...

"I guess it's not the same though...cause instead of letting me die, he convinced me to give living another shot" he said with a shrug.

"I think that was the best you could've done for him" I assured him, "if I asked him to live though...would he have gotten better?" Kokichi asked.

"I don't know" I admitted, "he spent so much time on me...he could've spent that time with Harukawa or his grandparents...instead he spent his last years with me" Kokichi spat out regretfully.

"Hey don't say that, Momota made his choices, he chose to stay by your side. You didn't do anything wrong Kokichi, you didn't force him to do anything-"

"I'm glad...I saw him before he left" Kokichi interrupted, "because for the only time...I got to call him my best friend. Cheesy right? When I thought of best friend back when I was a kid I thought partner in crime...

"Now though...it's just someone you can be open with when you want to be, and someone who makes your day slightly better for no reason...

"I'm glad I told him that. I wish I told him earlier but...she's gone...he's gone...my friend records have a bad history" He joked bitterness in his voice.

"I still will be here Kokichi, Kiibo will still be here, even though they're gone someone will always be there..." I promised.

He didn't accept it, instead he just sighed, "wanna get some ice cream...the gas station kind..?" He asked, changing the subject.

"Gas station?" I asked, "it's my favorite, don't judge" he said half hearted.

"Sure, sure we can"