Chapter Six: A Chance

Ouma's POV:

"And that class is why the phrase "the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell" will forever be engrained inside of your memory, now next class we might teach you about something you might use in your adult life-" RING

The sub cursed as I sighed in relief, finally...I didn't know paying attention in class again would have given me such a headache...no wait I should have guessed that. Everyone immediately got up and returned to their cliques I bet from the squeaking of chairs and the chats about nothing in particular. 

I miss my headphones...Saihara had made me promise to make an effort not to sleep during class anymore. Something related to me being productive or raising my grades, which I knew were beyond saving but he still had some kind of hope for me.

I'm surprised I wasn't taken kicked out of school, I barely squeaked into the next grades because of a combination of pity from my other teachers and Momota helping me to cram before final tests.

"Hey Ouma I'm going to talk to Iruma for a bit, she wants to talk about upgrades for some reason?" Kiibo told me. Oh no..."I'll be right back ok? Um...bye" Kiibo said awkwardly as from what I heard he ran out of the room.

Well, this is nice.

Tomorrow I'm getting my headphones back, I don't care what anyone says I don't want to sit here for an hour bored out of my mind.

As what seemed like an hour went on by, everyone left the classroom as I yawned in my seat what am I going to do...?  

"You didn't tell us that he was still alive sir" A voice called I raised an eyebrow, what? That sounds like the sub...oh no not again Satan....not again...I need to get the hell out of here...

"We made a deal with the person who carried out that job" a man replied, "if you have a problem with it then you work it out, we're not helping your organization with this anymore," he told them.

"The previous man? What are you talking about no one was meant to survive the incident, and you're saying that the deal let him live?" the sub asked, "look if you're concerned about the student talking about what happened he won't, the boy has been traumatized for life because of what your people did to him, he won't even talk anymore or react to certain situations and I have my staff keeping an eye on him so please...just leave him alone the kid has suffered enough" the man said.

"He would've suffered less if he died that day," the sub said.

...I would've suffered less if I died that day....she's not exactly wrong but...I'm still here.

"Look you can't possibly get away with anything like that twice so why don't you just go and we can forget this ever happened and-" the man tried to advise but the sub had cut in, "no of course not, I need to clean up the half-assed job that was done here," she told him.

"What do you mean?" he asked, "well not only was that boy left alive, but there are...rumors and stories about the students...it's the anniversary coming up soon and I hear your school is planning on making a ceremony in honor of the students am I right?" she asked.

"Yes, of course, believe it or not, we want to at least look like we care about the student body, especially because this class suffered so much from the tragedy that happened, you do realize how you scarred so many children? Whatever goal you have there is no way it was worth the cost-"

"One more word out of you and you're next" she threatened her voice laced with malice, the man shut up quickly after that. I don't blame him though, death isn't worth the risk of letting someone like me die.

It's fine.

What does she mean though...? Some kinds of loose ends are that what she is talking about? And, she's in some sort of organization...I thought the guy was on his own but there are MORE psychos out there with the same mindset as him?! Then...then there are more people out there who might be like me...

"Look you need to cancel the event alright?" she told him forcibly, "until one of us contacts you and approves, this goes for any events that are related to what happened alright?" she told him.

"I don't understand it was just a few words in respect..." he told her confused, "some words make you question what you know, and we don't need to make people rethink what happened. They have something to believe, they believe what we created already and I'm not going to let any of you destroy the foundation we built" she said.

"So what? They won't find anything" the guy said, "it only takes one...it only takes fucking one person...you're going to cut this footage now alright? The ones on the security camera, come right now I'm going to watch you do it" she said and I heard her walking down the hall with the man.

It only takes one...wait...I...what if me and Saihara...I mean I'm already at the risk of death being here, so what if I can at least try and expose what happened...no they would probably write me off as an insane child...

But if I had proof...? Then maybe...maybe I can do it. Maybe I can avenge them...it's not like there was anything else I could do. There has to be a reason I'm still here right? The reason why I'm still alive...if I can finally reveal what happened...if I could tell them the truth...maybe then I can justify why I'm alive...

Maybe then I could finally visit their graves without crying or apologizing.

Maybe then I could start learning how to live again.