Chapter Forty Nine: My Future

Saihara's POV:

The cold winter air somehow seemed comforting as I clung on tighter to my scarf and eyed the neatly rowed houses, out of nowhere the door for one opened and I saw an eager and warm smile poke out.

"What took you so long?" He called out, "how could you tell?" I asked a little impressed, "maybe it was because you called me ten minutes ago?" Kokichi asked with a joking tone of shock.

"Dice knew didn't he?" I asked, "well duh, dog can hear what's happening on the moon" Kokichi bragged as he closed the door behind him locking it, his wooden cane out with pride.

"Didn't you tell me that was your weapon of choice?" I asked reminiscent, "well now I also got a super cool bodyguard" Kokichi told me with a smirk.

"Aww thanks Kokichi" I said beaming, "I was talking about the dog"

I glanced down at the white golden retriever, "man it took me months to rank up but he gets the top spot in just five minutes" I fake complained.

Kokichi laughed, "maybe because he doesn't disturb my sleep at school with his loud footsteps?" Kokichi asked.

"Ha ha, so you still want your cane customized right? I'm going to be honest I haven't done many arts and crafts before" I admitted.

"Neither have I, Miri and Kazue did all the designing for the uniforms and masks I just pitched the idea" Kokichi admitted, "but hey if it looks bad just lie I won't be able to tell" Kokichi argued.

"We both know I suck at lying" I said, "and that's what makes you great" Kokichi said smiling, "you sure you don't need your wheelchair today?" I asked.

"Doc said I only need it if I'm doing long distance or walking for a long period, your house is like what ten minutes or something? And then we'll be sitting for half an hour after? I'll be fine" he assured me.

"Just tell me if you're hurt" I said sighing, I wasn't winning this argument, "ok mother hen" Kokichi snarked.

"M-mother hen?!" I repeated flustered, Kokichi kept laughing, "were you always so easy to tease?" He asked.

"Worse when I was younger" I admitted, "wish I knew you back then now, you would've been at my mercy. If you think I'm bad now I was the devil back then" he bragged.

"Oh atua protect me" I jokingly prayed, "so now that you have much more mobility, do you still wanna move out with me after graduation?" I asked.

Kokichi paused thinking, "don't know, I got a lot more independence now, it's nice not having to depend on others for some things, but you're fun to spend time with so probably if you still want that" Kokichi answered.

"Course I do, who else is going to tease me everyday?" I asked, "true that" Kokichi agreed.

His smile was wide, and it seemed natural, it always seemed like I would never be able to see it enough.

"Hey Kokichi, what do you want in the future?" I asked, "what do you mean?" He asked confused, "I mean like do you ever want kids or something. I'm just asking thought you know maybe we should know that, oh gosh I'm making a fool of myself aren't I?" I asked embarrased.

"It's fine it just took me off guard...uhm, not sure how good I am with kids" Kokichi admitted, "didn't you use to cheer up hospitalized kids?" I reminded.

"Yeah but making a kid laugh is different from raising one, and well uh...my family doesn't have a good track record with kids" he joked but there was a lace of resentment in his tone.

"I'm fine with either to be honest" I admitted. "I mean I guess I already have my first child, because pets and service animals count as children and I will never stop saying it" Kokichi declared.

"Hope your child approves of me" I joked, "well Dice is a bit of a sad serious grump so I can't tell...hmm..." Kokichi considered paused.

Dice stared up at me and for some reason it was a little intimidating, it was almost as if they could follow along with the conversation.

"Well looks like they approve" Kokichi announced. "How can you tell?" I asked genuinely curious, "because" he answered as if it was obvious.

"A future..." Kokichi muttered, his eyes seemed full of wonder when he said those words, "it's gonna be something cool." He finished with a deep nod to himself.

I decided not to comment as we joked about hydro flasks of all things all the way to my house.