Chapter Forty Six: Just A Poem

Saihara's POV:

Christmas meant working in my family, wasn't sure how we came to this tradition, but I wasn't about to question it.

It's not like we ever did family events anyway, my father did stop by though but he insisted on working exclusively in his office. My Aunt also did some work but for what I didn't know.

The only time we all were in the same room was for Christmas breakfast, a rare event where we managed to find a time to eat together.

For ten minutes.

It was in silence, my father was commenting on the poor tasting coffee which I actually did agree with while my Aunt had been placing a picture of Chiasa and my mom at the table, even my grandparents who I don't even remember anymore found a spot.

Maybe it was meant to be comforting but seeing the face of my forever thirteen year old cousin was a bit melancholic, and I once again reminded myself of the task at hand.

When I tried to get in contact with the Kentaro family regarding one of the last two DICE members, Eiji, they told me they had already sold all of his belongings.

A room with nothing but dust and memories, not even a bed.

That was a problem, but one I had more or less expected. With so much time I'm surprised most DICE members still had a bedroom or that almost all of their families still lived here.

The Otome's had just left, all I had for evidence was Kiibo's statement and a false letter.

But, I took another sip of coffee before I got up ready for the day, I did manage to convince the Kentaro's to part with one thing they had left at least for a short while.

A collection of poems he had written, apparently it was for a contest he was going to enter a few weeks after he died.

I didn't even have to pick them up like I did with the rest, it was mailed to me which made me feel a bit disconnected and even disappointed.

I couldn't show Kokichi anything, and I wonder if Kokichi even liked poetry.

I walked upstairs and opened the booklet.

Thoughts of the Stoned Heart
Kentaro Eiji

Song

The water rushes through streams,
The birds soar through skies,
The fire screams in pain,
And yet its quiet.

The storms demand vengeance,
The cats screech for blood,
The ice cracks the ocean,
And yet it's quiet.

The light shines with pride,
The dark hisses in content,
The quiet lingers on,
And yet its quiet.

The Quiet sings a song.

A song for the woman who cried
A song for baby that laughs
A song for those who are gone.

It never sings for me.

Hero

Heroes stand strong
Heroes stand for those who cant
Heroes stand for justice
Heroes stand for corruption
Heroes stand as gods
Heroes stand as a false hope
Heroes stand as false idols
Heroes stand for those with twisted grins
Heroes stand for the present
Heroes stand for nothing.

Man

Heaven forgive this sin,
Everyone commits.

What person you ask that I can't be.
Always able to understand
Never scared of the unknown
Tough and strong for all
So alone.

Together I feel pain
Only most can dream of

Knowing all I am is a shadow.
Invisible.
Laughable.
Lifeless.

Unless what you said rings true,
Seeking a world of truth.

Always remember this
Losers are the winners
Loss is consistent.

I paused reading over the last poem, something about the wording seemed off. Maybe I just don't get poetry but this seemed less of a thoughtful message then...

I looked at the first letters of each line, it splled out He Wants To Kill Us All. This wasn't a poem, it was a warning. A world of truth, did Kentaro like Masako guess his fate?

If so then that makes three members including Kokichi who guessed his true intentions that day, if it was just one then maybe the police would have considered it evidence...

But three people who assumed malicious intents from the sub was almost laughable to ignore.

I'm kind of glad now that Kokichi isn't here, because if he knew his suspicions wouldn't have been questioned back then...he would have blamed himself further.

I sighed as I headed to the printer for copies of the last poem, I would have to tell him...but I would rather wait till I present the entire case.

...just a month of hiding this.