Chapter 29:

Shelly

"When you coming back to work?" Austin asks me over the phone.

"Never!" Kaine shouted from the closet.

"Hell no, I need her here. Her and Chanel my best nurses."

"Ignore him." I said. "I'm coming back tomorrow, I miss working."

"You can. I will put you on the schedule right now." He said.

My maternity leave was over in another week, but I was coo with going back now. I was gonna struggle with leaving my baby, but I would have to go through it eventually anyways.

"You can. Half a day tho please." I said.

"Fine Shelly. I'll give you half a days for this week then next week back to your regular schedule."

"That's fine." I said.

After hanging up I plugged my phone up then walked into the bathroom turning the shower on.

I turned around as I felt the sting of Kaine's hand hitting my ass. "Why you always playing?"

"Because I can." He said pressing me against the wall snaking an arm around my waist cupping my ass. "So you just walking around in a thong, my beater, and no bra on?"

"Don't I always?" I ask moaning as he cupped my breast squeezing my nipple between his fingers.

Just as his tongue enters my mouth Kaidy's cries come through the baby monitor.

"Fuck man." Kaine groaned. "This is when parenthood gets tough for a nigga."

"Go." I laughed lightly pushing him off of me.

"Daddy duty calls. Later." He said pointing at me as he walked away.

I shook my head grinning before stripping and entering the shower.

*

"I don't want my baby to go." Mama said putting Kaidy in the car seat for me.

"I missed her." I said kissing her check as I placed a blanket on her.

"I know you done called and texted me so damn much." She rolled her eyes playfully.

"I know. I was probably working your nerves."

She flagged me off. "Bye my baby, bye Kaidy. Don't she look like me?" She asks flipping her curls.

I scrunched up my face staring at her. "Bye mama I gotta go. I don't got time for you today." I laughed.

"Whatever." She said. "She look like me, just like my sons do."

"Shut the hell up Jazmine." Dad said from the living room.

"Mad asses." She mumbled.

I laughed. "I gotta go."

*

I placed Kaidy's pacifier back into her mouth since she was strapped to my chest. Then I grabbed the two grocery bags.

"What's up Shelly?" I look seeing Derrick my childhood bestfriend. "Oh shit you got a baby now?" He asks looking over at her.

"Yeah, my Kaidy."

"That's what's up. Congratulations. How many months?"

"Four."

He nodded. "She look just like her dad."

I laughed. "You're the first person to say that. Everybody says she looks just like me."

"Nah, get pass the skin color and cheeks that's all him."

"Thanks, but you didn't have to." I said as he took my bags putting them into the car while I stood on the other side putting Kaidy in her car seat.

"No problem." He said. "I would say we should catch up some time, but you got a crazy ass boyfriend. I don't blame him tho. I'm the same way with my girl."

I shrugged. "Yeah, then you understand since you are a crazy boyfriend."

"True, true." He nodded. "I'll probably see you around tho."

I nodded as I pulled my ringing phone out.

"Bye lil Kaidy." He said as he softly grabbed her lil sock covered foot before saying bye and walking away.

"Shelly where the fuck are you? And who the fuck was that?" Kaine asked through the phone.

"I had to get Kaidy from your moms." I snapped back.

"You said that thirty minutes ago."

"I stopped by the grocery store for stuff and your nasty ass beers."

"You didn't answer my question."

"That was Derrick." I said getting into the drivers seat after making sure Kaidy was strapped in tightly.

"Who?" He asks. "We going to meet other niggas now? With my daughter and all, huh."

"I'm slapping the shit outta you as soon as I get there." I said before hanging up ignoring him as he called back.

*

"What the fuck Shelly?" Kaine shouted as I threw the pack of beer at his feet making all of them break.

I grabbed Kaidy's bottle then took her from her car seat, carrying her upstairs, and shutting locking the door. I needed time away from Kaine before I literally punch him in his face. He always gotta be all fuckin extra with his slick ass mouth. I wished he would think before he speaks.

Having a crazy ass nigga can be the fuckin most sometimes.

"Are you fuckin serious?" Kaine shouted through the door as he twisted the knob seeing it was locked.

"Yup, good fuckin bye." I said.

"Man, Shelly I will break this bitch the fuck down. Don't act like I didn't before."

"Yeah go ahead and scare ya daughter." The other side of the door got quiet. "Thought so, bye." I said again.

*

I woke up to Kaidy crying in the middle of the night. I looked at the time to see it was three in the morning.

I changed her then picked her up as her crying got louder. I tried rocking her back to sleep, but she just continued to cry.

I sighed standing up knowing what she wanted or who she wanted.

"You want daddy?" I ask kissing her chubby cheek. She quieted down, but was still whining while squirming in my arms.

I heard the tv on downstairs so headed down there to see Kaine knocked out on the couch snoring.

I kicked his foot that was on the coffee table.

"Hmm." He grumbled.

"Here." I said holding out Kaidy to him.

He took her and she quieted down instantly.

"Shelly." He said but I turned to walk away into the kitchen. "Where I'ma sleep then?"

"There's more than one guest room." I answered.

I made Kaidy a bottle, warmed it up, tested it, then give it to Kaine.

"I guess mommy's still mad at me." I heard him say as I got to the stairs. "Gonna have to make it up to her, huh?"

Ya damn right.