Chapter 38

Hello, fellow fanders!!

I know it's a bit late, but happy new year! 2020 was a mess for the majority of us, and I myself am incredibly thankful that my family was in a position that we were hardly affected at all. I know this is not the case for most people, and for anyone who has experienced the loss of a family member, friend, job, or just an activity that you loved, I am truly sorry.

We can look for to a (hopefully) better 2021, and while the problems of the past have definitely not gone away, at least we may be better equipped to deal with them this time around. So I hope your 2021 goes well, and stay safe!

WARNINGS : Hints at a bad mental state, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

..............

"Alright, in this box is 25 slips of paper, one for each of you. You're going to be writing an essay analyzing whatever song you draw from the box. No swapping; I'll be checking which one you get. The songs you can chose are written up on the board, and we'll be going in alphabetical-"

Virgil glanced up at the board, where three song titles were written up. Dancing Queen by ABBA, Crazy = Genius by Panic! at the Disco and Dynamite by BTS. Virgil had heard of all of them, although he'd only actually listened to Crazy = Genius. He hoped he drew that one, although with his luck he'd draw ABBA. Nothing wrong with it, but definitely not his thing.

"The assignment is posted on Google Classroom if you want to look it over once more, and the minimum word count is 700 words." Complaints rang through the room, but their teacher silenced them with his hand. "Given the fact you have 5 elements to cover, I see nothing wrong with the word count. In fact it's a bit lenient. Again, no switching."

Virgil waited until his name was called, and dipped his hand into the box. He pulled out a thin slip of paper on which Dynamite was written in his teacher's untidy scrawl. He tucked the paper into his pocket and sat back down next to Patton, who was watching him expectantly.

"I got Dynamite, how about you?"
"I got the dancing queen." said Patton, sounding slightly dull. Virgil frowned.
"What's wrong? I thought you liked ABBA."
"I do, I just really don't wanna write an essay." he mumbled. Virgil's eyebrows furrowed. Patton was quieter than usual. He left it alone, and took his chromebook out of his bag to get a start on the assignment when he saw the rest of his class doing the same.

He looked up to the board where five questions were written:

Which format is the song in?

Which key is the song in, and how does this contribute to the overall feel of it?

What kind of message do the lyrics convey? (Your opinion)

Does the music resemble the style from a certain time period? If so, which one?

Name three things that the instruments do which help add to the general feel of the song.

Virgil sighed, before starting. He plugged in his headphones before opening the assignment and clicked on the music video for Dynamite.

A short clip conveying the logo of Big Hit Entertainment played before seven men were shown on screen, one with only his hair visible. In the few seconds during which they split and walked off screen in various directions, Virgil turned on the subtitles.

BTS is a kpop group, right? The lyrics are probably Korean.

Virgil turned his attention back to the screen and was greeted by a korean pretty-boy drinking milk with the music starting behind him. A relaxed yet elated tune rang through Virgil's ears and he smiled. This wouldn't be a bad assignment at all.