Chapter 49

Hello, fellow fanders!

Okay, so there's been a thing I've noticed recently which I think impacts a lot of people who are into fandom.

So I've been on a high with the ATLA fandom recently, (especially zukka they're so cute istg) but I've kinda been running out of fanfiction on AO3 to read about them. And for some reason my excitement in other fandoms have been sinking a little as well, and so I was really bored.

I went on a walk to try to take my mind off of things but I was just feeling crappy.

I think this is what happens when we devote too much time to things that create quick dopamine release, like my personal fanfic-addiction. Even looking at the word fanfiction makes my brain perk up, and it's kind of freaking me out. So I know I sound like a boomer, and there's no way I'm going to stop reading fanfiction any time soon, but this is just a reminder to try and derive dopamine and feel-good vibes from things that aren't just related to the internet or technology, because once you take that away, it leaves you feeling like crap.

Anyway, sorry about the long author's note.

WARNINGS: Implied homophobia, references to bullying, I think that's it?

.............

"Virgil!"

The moment he stepped out of the car he was smothered by flowing scarves and bouncing curls. He felt his lips curve upward as he wrapped his hands around Janice, taking in the smell of dusty clothing and cinnamon.

"Hey." he said, pulling back a little to pick up his bag.

"Mike's waiting in the car." she said, wrapping an arm around his forearm and leading him to the parking lot. "We were in a mess getting here, let me tell you. I kept telling Mike to turn on the GPS but he was determined to prove he could get there without."

"Well how did he do?" asked Virgil, falling back into the easy rhythm of letting Janice talk and periodically asking questions. She glanced at him and pursed her lips.

"We took the wrong exit four times."

The two of them made their way down the parking lot, and Virgil was swamped with a feeling of nostalgia. He hadn't been to this side of the school since Mike had dropped him off. The few deciduous trees around them had lost their leaves, but the overall picture of the space was that it was flourishing.

"So how did the term go?"
Virgil's eyes meet Janice's green ones in the rear-view mirror. "It was good. Apart from the big things." Mike's eyes flitted up to join too.

"That whole Thomas situation was a real shock, you'd think they'd be more careful about this sort of thing." he said, his eyes back on the road.

"Yeah," agreed Janice. "And that thing with your friend's medicine! How's he doing, by the way?"
"Logan's doing good. A bit stressed, but anxiety and stuff, so that's pretty much it."
"Hey isn't that the kid you have a crush on?"
"Mike!"

"What? Isn't it?" His eyes met Virgil's again. "It is, right?"

If the seat split open and swallowed him right about now, Virgil would be very happy.

"Aw, look at you!" Janice rolled up her window as the merged onto the highway, her dimple shining through as she smiled at Virgil. "Y'know, I was exactly the same when I was your age, all it took was a boy with big arms and brown eyes to make me drop everything."
"Ew," said Virgil, his face screwing up. Mike stared at her with his jaw hanging open.

"Is that why you dated Kelly in senior year?"
"I thought that was obvious."
"No it wasn't-"

Virgil left the parents to their argument and took out his headphones, letting the familiar warmth settle over his ears and blocking out the smaller sounds around him. Mike had gotten him noise cancelling ones around a year ago when a few assholes dumped his old ones in a clogged sink.