Chapter 5

Hello, fellow Fanders!

This is chapter 5 of Queer 'n Crazy, thanks if you're reading this, and constructive criticism is always welcome! Make sure you check the warnings just in case there's something upsetting in here. 🙃

WARNINGS: Loud noises, panic attack (kinda), self deprecation, food mention, let me know if there are any others!

.................

A loud ringing flooded the History classroom, followed by the sound of scraping chairs and shrieking students. Virgil rolled his eyes, choosing to remain in his seat. Sure, he wanted to get out of this hell hole, but he didn't exactly want to be squished from all sides. 

However, the desperation of his classmates meant he only had to wait a few moments before the crowd had moved on without him. Which raised a new problem. 

Where was Logan?

The two had arranged to eat lunch together, as neither knew anyone else at the school. However, history was the one core subject they didn't have together, meaning Virgil's luck had clearly struck again. Virgil groaned, slumping out of the classroom. 

He swung his bag over his shoulder, and pulled an extremely crumpled map out of his pocket. Despite the fact it was the first day, cobweb-like weaknesses were abundant over the card brochure, no doubt owing to Virgil's fervor that morning.

He leaned against the wall of the hallway, it's uncomfortable temperature noticeable even through Virgil's hoodie. He fidgeted, gnawing at his bottom lip. What if he couldn't find Logan? He knew it was stupid of him to rely on someone he'd met the previous morning, but he couldn't help it. He was the only person Virgil knew. Chances were he'd met someone in his classes and had decided to ditch Virgil; it wouldn't be the first time. Or maybe he forgot, or expected to meet me at the hall, not outside my class. It's kind of stupid to expect him to come here, it would just be an inconvenience for Logan. Or maybe-

"Virgil!" The younger boy jolted, whipping his head around to see a black-clad figure striding down the now deserted hallway to meet him. Logan sighed as he approached Virgil, straightening his tie.

"Sorry I took so long, Mrs Greer decided it would be a good idea to hold us back a few minutes because a few people were talking in the back." His eyes flitted across Virgil profile, registering his appearance. His lips quirked downward, and Virgil followed his gaze to find that his fingers were fiddling with his hoodie strings. He let them drop quickly, and shoved them in his pockets to hide them from view. 

"Are you alright, Virgil?" He asked, surveying Virgil with concern. Virgil nodded, heat creeping up his throat. 
"Yeah, I'm good." He glanced down at the map in his hands. "Do you have any idea where we're eating? I think they mentioned it last night, but I've forgotten." The two started walking toward the exit of the hallway. 

"Seeing as it's the first week, we'll being eating in rooms chosen by the staff. I'm pretty sure we're just eating in the first floor of Draconis again, same room we had dinner in. The older students will be eating in the dining hall, so it won't be as crowded, but a few committee members might stay back." Virgil nodded, consulting his map once more, before stepping into the chilly air. 

They'd stepped out into the courtyard in the middle of the social sciences department, which was surrounded by seven classrooms. Logan, who'd seemingly memorized the school already, lead Virgil through the gap between two classrooms, and down another brick pathway. 

Within a few minutes, the two had arrived in the courtyard commons that stood in the center of the dorms. Draconis was directly opposite them, and Virgil was relieved to see that there were still a few people who hadn't entered. At least they weren't the only ones who were late. But still, what if they were called out?