Chapter 30

Hello, fellow fanders!

Look, I love innocent baby steven, but the thing that makes this show so amazing for me is the fact that Sugar acknowledged that all the stuff that happened in Steven's childhood affected him, unlike how in other cartoons the protagonist is just A-ok with everything that happened to him.

Consequences!

WARNINGS : Mentions of medication, kind of an interrogation, allusion to an abusive home, swearing, please tell me if I've missed any!

..............

Virgil's thigh bounced up and down rapidly as his teeth worried his bottom lip. He glanced over at the reflective surface of the receptionist's desk, scanning himself for the fourth time in five minutes. He swallowed. It was too warped to make anything out.

Thoughts about what the conversation would be like flitted through his head. Logan had mentioned that she would be asking him about the medicine switch, but what was there to find out? Logan's meds had been messed up, and Virgil was the one who noticed they were messed up. It wasn't like he was more likely to remember details about the event than Logan; it was his meds that were switched after all.

Maybe he was here to talk about something else. Virgil remembered that when he was about six, he'd been called to the guidance counselor's office. Once he'd arrived, he found that his mother was there, the bags under her eyes all too clear, and the look she shot his way clearly annoyed.

Obviously this meant he was unable to speak for the rest of the meeting, which was mainly about his unwillingness to speak up in class.

Ironic. Welp, time to distract himself!

Logan had mentioned that the room was dull, but Virgil's gaze continued to be drawn to the paintings that adorned the wood panelled walls. A canvas adorned by a brass-coloured frame boasted a painting of a curious looking rose; white petals fading into red as they reached outward.

Virgil was aware that roses of that kind grew naturally, and he was also aware that the painting was objectively very beautiful. However, the colouration reminded him too closely of blood-stained sheets to allow him to appreciate the brushwork.

He glanced back at the desk instead where a woman sat clacking away at her computer. She was paying him no mind, so instead he surveyed how her hair was drawn into a bun so tight it felt painful.

He didn't have long hair, but if he did he probably wouldn't tie it up. He liked his bangs purely because he could hide behind them given the chance. According to a few boys at his previous school they made him look like a drowned street rat, but they also meant that he didn't have to look at them when they said that, so it wasn't a entirely bad situation. The idea of having that much of your face visible to people was... foreign to Virgil. To say the least.

"Mr Grant?" Virgil started, before staring at the attendant with a tad more consciousness. A burning began at the back of his throat as he realised that he'd been staring directly at her without realising.

"Uh, yes?"

"Madam Evergreen will see you now." Virgil let out a quiet thank you in response, causing the receptionist to smile, before picking up his bag and making his way to the large wooden door in the corner.

He swung it open tentatively, peering into the room while trying to ignore his stomach swimming uncomfortably.

The room was large with an incredibly large desk situated in the middle of the wall opposite. The woman who sat behind it smiled at Virgil, her brown hair flowing down her shoulder in waves. Virgil shifted, trying to look anywhere but her mouth.