Chapter 53

The horse cantered powerfully through the soft soil of the vast countryside. His hooves clawing away at the dirt as they made their way towards the forest, one giant stride after another. Every stride brought them closer to safety, but Emeric could not ignore how it fed the pain in his shoulder. Still dislocated and still burning.  Popping it back into the socket wasn't something he could do on his own, nor wanted to.  He kept his right arm tucked against his torso and held the reins loosely in his left hand. Praying Sarge had the horse-like decency not to go into a full gallop.

He was following a trail of horse footprints that he presumed belonged to Hunter's horse or rather, once again hoped.  It could honestly be that of  an enemy or worse an Elite, and with how his luck had been recently it could very well be the latter. But he didn't have many options right now so he continued forward stubbornly...what will happen will happen.

As the sun started growing heavy in the horizon, Emeric spotted the forest in the distance.  It took half an hour to reach it.  He urged Sarge on, asking for one last ounce of effort.  The horse lengthened his stride greedily.  With a twitch of the reins, Emeric steered the elegant animal in the direction of the assembly area that his father had decided on.

Emeric reigned Sarge to a trot as the woods grew thicker.  If cantering had been painful, trotting was hell.  Emeric grimaced as they forged through the forest.  His face was pale and he knew that the wound on his lower back was the reason for it.  His saddle was stained red with blood. You never realise how important blood is until you start to lose it.

Through the thick trees Emeric made out the soft glow of a camp fire.  He brought Sarge to a halt and whistled the song of a bird he had been told was from his homeland.  A similar call answered his a few seconds later. The song causing his hand to relax and to release his dagger's hilt, his only weapon left after the battle.  Emeric lightly tapped his heel to Sarge's side, setting the horse into a walk. 

When Emeric entered the small clearing where the camp fire had been made, he saw Hunter and Aire waiting for him.  Aire, he didn't realise how his heart warmed up at the sight of her in the safety of the forest. He could protect her better here. Sarge, sensing his master's relaxation came to an easier stop than was expected. Dismounting, Emeric could not hide his wounds as a grunt escaped his lips.

He tethered Sarge to a branch before making his way to his company.

"What happened?" Hunter asked hastily, walking forward in case Emeric needed help.  Emeric grinned maliciously.  "What makes you think anything happened?" He asked through gritted teeth. Yeah, that wasn't going to fool his cousin or Aire but it had been worth a shot.

Hunter raised a challenging eyebrow.  Emeric let go of his façade and sat down by the growing flames.  "They dislocated my shoulder." he stated after a while.  He turned his gaze at Aire, seeing the worry in her eyes. Oh, how he had missed those eyes. "Can you put it back?" 

Aire didn't answer, but she knelt down next to Emeric.  "You're bleeding." She stated as her face turned pale.  Emeric grunted. He'd forgotten about the numb wound on his back.  Strange how pain became relative in battle. His shoulder was a pain he was constantly reminded of and he could not think past that, all other wounds forgotten.

"It's not serious." he stated, "My shoulder is worse." He clenched his jaw as he spoke.  Aire nodded, but he knew she had filed away the information of the other wound in her mind, she was after all not the forgetful type.

"Lay on your back." Aire instructed as she positioned herself next to Emeric's shoulder.  Emeric did as he had been told.  "It will hurt quite a bit, but once it's back in place the pain will go away." Aire spoke as she took hold of Emeric's wrist. Her hands were warm from the fire.