Chapter 24

There was no sound besides the silent fall of footsteps as Emeric, Nedes and Jordy-one of Nedes's goonies, where escorted down the tall corridor that lead to Calvert's office.  After months of fighting and endless amounts of Dome battles, those three were the only trio that remained of the group of Eliminators.  The rest had all been murdered, or eliminated, if you want.

Emeric, with 63 kills on his name, was the most advanced of the three, but the fact gave him no pride at all.  The thought of it sent disgusted shivers through him.  He was disgusted in who he had become.

A true beast.

The other two Eliminators shared Emeric's emotionless façade.  They all knew that it was only a matter of time before they joined their fallen comrades.  They all knew that all too clearly.

The fact that Calvert had summoned them to his study set all of their nerves on end.  None of them had ever been called before, the experience sent butterflies to their stomachs.

Emeric ground his teeth together as one of the guards rapped his knuckles against the thick, wooden door.  The anxiety that coursed through him was making him fidgety, something he didn't want to be.

"Come in."  A thick voice spoke from inside.  The heavy set door swung open on well oiled hinges and the trio of prisoners were escorted inside.  Emeric stood in the large office room, taking in the interior.  It was a simple room.  It sported little furniture, only a large wooden desk, a rack with scrolls and a couple a chairs.  However, the tall figure sitting behind the desk gave the room a heavy aura.  

He emitted total authority and his presence made all three prisoners lower their gazes. 

A momentary silence betook the room as the prisoners shuffled into a line in front of the desk.  Only when they were in order did the deep voice speak once more.

"I have to say, you surprised me, Emeric.  I really didn't think you'd make it this far." Calvert spoke in a lowered voice.  Emeric kept his gaze lowered.  He thoroughly hated the Dome Keeper after what he had done to Kedo a few weeks before. 

At one of the Dome battles, Emeric had believed his opponent to be dead, but the man had still been breathing when Emeric left the arena...Kedo had suffered an intense beating and Emeric had been forced to watch it all with hopelessness, knowing that it was his fault.  No amount of pleading had stopped the onslaught.

He had tried to explain that he really tried to kill his opponent.  He had stabbed the man in his chest after all...However, he had somehow missed the vital organs and the Domer had survived.

And that hadn't been the first time. Whenever Emeric showed some sign of rebellion, Kedo had suffered.

Emeric wouldn't ever forgive the Dome Keeper for the pain he had caused the young Rogue.

"However," Calvert continued, "I must say that I am pleased with the remaining Eliminators. You three have reached the final stages of the Eliminators round and can almost advance to the Victors rounds." He let the words sink in for a few seconds before continuing, "We are leaving for Lachand. You three will compete against the three remaining Eliminators of the rival city until only one of you remain. Which ever one of you remains will start participating in the Victors round.

Nedes shared a worried look with Jordy.  The two were close comrades, and the news that only one of the three Eliminators would return form Lachand was a shock to them. 

Emeric kept his gaze to the ground.  He found it strange that Calvert would allow him to advance to the Victors round.  The Victors were the pride of the city after all, and Emeric found it strange that Calvert would allow a Rogue to advance to that status.

"We leave immediately." Calvert stated.  With a gesture of his hand, the guards took the three Eliminators away...

*****

The journey had lasted an uncomfortable three days. The three prisoners had been forcefully cramped into a small cage like wagon, sitting shoulder to shoulder. Emeric had found the whole journey extremely awkward with Nedes and Jordy destroying what was know as personal space.

However, now, the three of them stood in Lachand's Dome, taking in the massive interior of the structure. The arena was almost the same size as Scoalgeoc's, if not slightly larger, but the immense glass and steel dome that covered the arena was what set the three Domers in awe.

The glass dome cut off the entire world on the outside and made Emeric feel as if he had been swallowed into a new dimension. The glass glistened like crystals on the afternoon sun, a show of wealth a fortune.

The white sand was soft underfoot and it silenced Emeric's footfalls as he padded into the large arena, or rather, battlefield. He knew however, that the sand wouldn't remain that way for long. Soon, it would be stained red as the life blood of unfortunate Domers leaked out on it.

At a command from Calvert, the three Domers from Scoalgeoc stood in a line, however, they did so reluctantly. Only their fear for the Dome Keeper forced them to oblige.

They heard loud footsteps approach and through the gates, they could see a party of half a dozen men approaching. They came to a halt in front of Calvert who had positioned himself before his three Eliminators.

An unwelcome silence stretched out as the Dome Keeper of Lachand met Calvert's eyes. They seemed to assess each other, searching for any sign of weakness. Neither found any.

"I believe the journey was alright?" Said Jaacesh, the Dome Keeper of Lachand. Calvert bowed his head slightly, "Yes indeed." He replied bluntly. Jaacesh noted the dismissive tone and decided to get the whole affair over with as soon as possible. He wasn't all too fond of Calvert and vice versa.

Jaacesh stepped past Calvert and came to a halt in front of Nedes. He took note of the tall, well toned figure already choosing his best Domer to put up against the young rival. Nedes stood tall and proud. The three of them had been given new clothes, much neater and more pleasant to an onlooking eye than their usual Domer's wear.

Jaacesh nodded to himself then moved on to inspect Jordy. He was of average height and weight, and didn't really have anything significant about him, but that aided to his advantage. Most Domers underestimated him and tended to die because of their error.

Finally Jaacesh came to a halt in front of Emeric who lifted a defiant eye to meat that of the shocked Dome Keeper. Jaacesh frowned at the Rogue, with the usual disgust that Emeric had grown used to.

Emeric kept the judging gaze without a flinch as seconds slowly counted on. Jaacesh broke the silence unexpectedly, "Lower your eyes, beast." He spat and threw a backhand at Emeric's jaw. The blow was so swift that Emeric didn't have time to duck away. It sent him staggering backwards to maintain his feet.

Emeric, shocked by the sudden harassment was about to jump forward and send a blow of his own. He balled his hands into fists, but Calvert interjected before he got the opportunity to attack.

"Enough." Calvert barked and stepped between Emeric and the vile Dome Keeper. Jaacesh glared at Emeric. A silent threat passing from them...Before turning away, he spat at the Rogue's feet. Then, turning on his heal, he left the arena.

"See you tomorrow, Calvert." The Dome Keeper called over his shoulder..."I hope your children are ready to die." He said in a mocking tone as he rounded a corner and disappeared from their sight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jip, sorry, another short, boring chapter, but hear we go...The action is about to begin.