Chapter 46

Emeric paled as he watched the hammer in it's swift descent towards his wrist which was splayed helplessly on a large, flattened stone bench. He wanted to pull his hand away. His instincts sent warning bells blaring off in his head, but his father's iron grip held him still.

He shut his eyes at the moment of crushing impact. Their was a hideous clang as Emeric's cuff burst apart into two pieces. As it fell away from his wrist, he glanced at the raw, scarred tissue that remained where the iron had become a part of him. The result of years and years of constant rubbing and pressing.

Emeric winced as the raw flesh stung under the sudden rush of air that came in contact with marred skin. He turned his wrist over, examining the damage that had succumbed over the years. He had gotten used to the cuff and now he distinctly felt aware of it's absence.

Rayhan also winced as he got a close look at the marred wrist. He gestured for the physician who stood a few paces away. The elderly man stepped forward with a readily mixed paste of herbs and honey. He swiftly applied the sticky mixture to Emeric's wrist. The strange concoction would soothe the pain and ward off infection. However, as a precaution, he also wrapped a clean bandage around Emeric's wrist to keep the wound clean.

"Doesn't that feel better?" Rayhan questioned his son who was still slightly pale in the face. Emeric let out a sigh of relief. "Well, at least he didn't take my arm off." Emeric teased as he sent a smile to the blacksmith who had removed the cuff. The man smirked. When he had his forging hammer in hand, he easily sent men scattering away in fear...He had a lethal glint in his eyes.

Rayhan chuckled and then left the blacksmith's forge. Emeric was quick to follow after nodding a thanks at the physician and blacksmith. As he exited the cabin behind Rayhan, he heard the distinct sound of cheering and the clanging of metal...weapons.

His skin prickled as memories from the Dome haunted him, but he shook the images from his head and limped after his father who had quickened his stride after hearing the commotion. Although a few weeks had passed and Emeric didn't need the crutches to get along anymore, his ankle was still uncomfortable and he knew that the limp would follow him to his death bed.

The occupants of the settlement were all crowed in the centre of the village, standing in a large ring around two men who were battling ferociously. Rayhan and Emeric pushed themselves to the front of the ring to get a better view of what was causing the havoc.

When Rayhan spotted the two brawling men, a smile crossed his face. It wasn't uncommon for a rank battle to take place in the settlement. The warriors were always eager to practice their skills and most had the determination to rise in rank as they did so.

Hunter was battling against an older man who appeared to be in his early thirties. They both held strong, well balanced swords in their firm grips. Malicious smiles claimed their faces as they attacked with deadly accuracy. The strokes were almost too fast for an eye to follow, yet the defences matched the speed of the attacks and neither of the warriors' blows managed to break through his opponent's guard.

As the battle drew on, Hunter's youth seemed to be on his side. The older man was tiering and that was when Hunter attacked with the ferocity of an enraged bull. His sword seemed to be a invisible blur as he attacked. A few seconds later, he stood victorious with the point of his sword by his opponent's neck...The victory was his.

The gathered crowd roared at the brilliant display of skill. Hunter grinned and then shook the older man's hand, making sure there were no hard feelings between them.

Rayhan strode forward and clasped Hunter's shoulder in a congratulating manner. Hunter was by far one of the most accomplished warriors in the settlement and few men had the skill to defeat him. Rayhan was one of the rare men who still stood superior in skill above the young soldier.