Chapter 47

Emeric reluctantly drew his sword from its sheath with a metallic scrape. "Are you sure about this?" He questioned, the uncertainty and reluctance rang in his voice. Hunter grinned, "I wouldn't have suggested it if I wasn't" He replied light heartedly.

Emeric failed to feel the same emotion. The scab on Hunter's neck was a constant reminded of what he had done the previous day. Of how close he had come to killing a family member. The idea of having another duel sent his nerves on edge. They were alone on the far side of the camp, which meant that if Emeric went haywire again, there wouldn't be any one to save Hunter.

Hunter had suggested the dual earlier the day, claiming that fighting was the only way Emeric would learn to control the flare. He hadn't taken no for an answer.

"Very well, but don't blame me if I kill you." Emeric warned with a mild grin. The words were supposed to ease his nerves, but the only drove more doubt into his racing heart. Hunter chuckled softly, "Like wise..." With that, he drew his own weapon and stood poised and ready to block any attack that was thrown his way.

Emeric took a deep breath to calm himself and then attacked with a swift combination of strikes. Hunter stood his ground and blocked each blow with deceptive ease. The expression on his face made it evident that he was enjoying himself.

Hunter saw an opportunity and threw blows of his own. His attacks were swift and precise. They forced Emeric onto the defensive side and one particular effort drove him back. Hunter inwardly rejoiced in the small victorious move. It was obvious that he up against a master swordsman and that meant that any victory, no matter how small, was worth celebration.

Although, Hunter too was brilliant with his blade and the two of them sparred for a considerable amount of time. It'd be a long battle before one of them would be defeated...They both knew that.

Emeric increased his efforts, determined to come out victorious over the duel. As the thought crossed his mind he felt the distant chanting grow up in the back of his mind. He grimaced and pushed it back, but his efforts were futile. The red haze was already starting to cross over his vision.

He knew that if he continued, there would be an unfavorable outcome. He stepped away from Hunter, lowering his weapon. He shut his eyes tightly as the chanting grew louder and louder until it felt as if the ground beneath his feet were quivering.

"Reaper! Reaper! Reaper!" The words kept repeating over and over again without respite. Emeric grit his teeth and pinched the bridge of his nose, trying but failing to ward the noise from his overwhelmed mind.

"Is it happening?" He heard Hunter's concerned voice ask, but he could barely make out the words over the tedious shouting.

"Blood...Blood...Blood..."

Emeric slowly nodded his head, afraid that any movement would make him lose total control. He opened his eyes, but the red haze was obscuring his vision. Hunter was simply a dark silhouette. Emeric took a step away from him, afraid that he might attack his cousin.

"Um..." He heard Hunter mutter...But his other words were drowned out by the chanting. Emeric felt his breathing pick up and knew that he was about to lose it. "Get back..." He muttered. He wasn't sure if Hunter had heard him. He hoped that he had. A voice reached his ears. "...hear me?" Emeric blinked his eyes a few time. The red haze didn't fade.

"Can you hear me?" The voice echoed again. Emeric slowly nodded, but fear was starting to form in his chest. "Don't think about it, okay? Think about something you like, something that calms you." Hunter instructed. He could see that Emeric was suffering mentally, and there wasn't much he could do to help.