Chapter 44

On his fourth day in the settlement, Emeric woke sluggishly.  Sleep had been shortcoming with his injured ankle.  The constant ache of the limb kept him awake through the entire duration of the evening. 

He swung his legs out of the bed and made special care to keep his injured foot off of the ground.  Although it had started to heal, the swelling remained and the pain hammered on relentlessly. He took hold of his crutches and made for the door.

Fewer people gazed at him as he walked through the area.  They had all grown accustomed to seeing him limp around.  However, a certain set of eyes never seized to gaze at him wrathfully whenever he stepped out of his cabin.  Sarthen.

The sour faced man had made an appeal to the council of the small village.  He had tried explaining to them that Emeric was a spy and couldn't be trusted.  However, the council couldn't make major decisions, such as deciding whether someone should be kicked out or not, without the presence of the village chief.  He was out on a rescue mission, and until he returned Emeric had been permitted to move around in the village, he just wasn't allowed to leave the perimeter.

As Emeric made his way through the cabins, he reached the open central area where all the children were playing with a ball.  They had put out two posts on either side of the field.  The goal of the game was to get the ball through either of the posts. Emeric grinned as he watched the kids play.  He had played similar games with his parents in his childhood years before the fateful day of his mother's death.

Emeric's smile faded away as his eyes landed on a familiar figure sitting hunched next to the playing field.  He wasn't making any attempt to join the game and he was a rather mournful sight. 

Emeric hobbled over to Kedo.  As he approached, the young kid raised his eyes to Emeric and smiled faintly in greeting.  Emeric sat down next to his friend with some effort and then let out a sigh of relief.  They sat in silence for a while as they both just watched the proceedings of the game.  One of the elder kids kicked the ball between two of the posts with extreme force earing a cheer from his teem when the post keeper couldn't stop the ball.

As the Etreshian youngsters ran back to the center of the field to start a new round, Emeric gazed down at Kedo.  "Why aren't you up there playing with them?" Kedo shrugged, "I don't know any of the kids." he replied.  Emeric gave him a stern look.  "You didn't know me either, and now look at the pair of us."  Kedo grinned slightly, "In that case, I just don't want to play right now." 

Emeric raised his eyebrow, "And you call me the lazy old hag?" Kedo couldn't hide his smile in time. 

"Come on." Emeric said as he struggled to his feet, taking hold of his crutches, "Let's go show them how it's done." Emeric turned away and started making his way to the field before Kedo could protest.  He heard Kedo's footsteps following and sighed with relief.

The other kids stopped playing as they saw Emeric approaching.  The eldest appeared to be only a few years younger than Emeric and he stepped forward as Emeric reached them.  "Mind if we join?" Emeric asked cheerfully.  The juvenile in front of Emeric seemed a bit confused as he took in Emeric's foot and the crutches, but then smiled and replied, "Sure, you know the rules?"

Emeric shrugged, "I'm sure we'll catch on soon enough." The juvenile grinned, "Alright then, let's get going." With that said, he kicked the ball down the length of the field.  Instantly the other kids ran after it.  It was blocked by the post keeper and then kicked back up the field to a team mate.  Emeric elbowed Kedo softly, "What are you waiting for squirt?  Go get it." Kedo glowered up at Emeric, but then ran off with the other kids.

Emeric rarely got the ball, considering his intense lack of speed, however, when he got it he kicked it with all his might.  He stepped forward with his crutches and then swung his whole body forward, kicking the ball all the way to the other end of the field.  His team cheered rejoicingly as they pounded after it.  All the youngster wanted to be in his teem and he was forced to take turns to prevent fights breaking out between the two groups.