Chapter 14

The sun was setting, marking the end of Emeric's eighth day in his mobile cage.  His muscles were stiff and aching from the lack of movement.  He desperately longed to go for a long, long run in the bliss woods...To just run without anything holding him back...No chains to call his own, but that wasn't the life he was living...He might never have that life again.

He simply had to face his new fate head on and do his best to last as long as possible...

He had to fulfill the promises he had made to everyone he cared about.

The escapade came to a slow halt in front of a sizable building that was larger in it's width that it's height.  It had a bulky look that gave the impression of a sturdy, well built structure.  But the dome that seemed to stretch upwards, out of the complex's center was what marked the immense structure as the end of Emeric's long journey.

He had reached the Dome of Scoalgeoc...Something he had been dreading over the past few days...

Emeric's cage was opened and he was dragged out.  His legs refused to listen considering that they had been scrunched up for days on end without the luxury of being stretched out.  Emeric was held by two guards.  One on each side, gripping his arms.

Even if he could escape, he doubted that he would be able to manage anything faster than an awkward shuffle considering the useless state of his legs.  Emeric mentally swore at the unfavourable situation.

Calvert got out of his grand carriage and proudly walked over to Emeric.  The Rogue found himself looking down at the ground involuntarily.  It was because of the utter authority emitting from the wealthy Dome Keeper.  It set Emeric on edge and made him feel like an ant next to an elephant.

"Take him to Doc.  He's to undergo the standard evaluation."  Calvert strictly commanded before adding, "Tell Doc that I want him in the arena as soon as possible."

The guards escorting Emeric bowed their heads respectfully, "Yes sir." They said in unison.

Emeric was led into the immense building.  He marveled at the resemblance between Deepdale and Scoalgeoc's interior of the Domes.  Both of the buildings were dull and cold on the inside.  The appearance seemed to reflect off of the people who inhabited the Dome...The two were dull and cold.

After walking...or in Emeric's case, stumbling...down dozens of corridors, the guards finally came to a halt in a comfy room which housed a number of odd furniture...

A working table, cupboard which housed a couple of books and vials, and a few paintings on the walls that added warmth to the room.

The guards gestured at the working table, "Sit." They commanded Emeric bluntly.  Emeric did as he was told, more than grateful to give his jelly legs a quick rest.  He sat in silence as the guards awkwardly just stood silent and motionless beside him. 

The whole scene became rather uncomfortable.

Emeric allowed his eyes to travel over the interior of the room once more as they waited for whom he assumed was Doc...

Minutes dragged by and nothing happened.  Emeric lowered his bored gaze to his lap as nothing transpired. He was tempted to shut his eyes and sleep...Something that had been short coming in the bumpy, jerking wagon he had been transported in.

As Emeric started drifting off he vaguely registered the sound of a door opening and then a totally unexpected exclamation when the newcomer realised what he was.  "Oh frolicking flamingo!" The strange exclamation made Emeric raise his eyes to the person standing in the doorway.

He took in the long, curly brown hair that fell over the young woman's shoulders...almost black, but not quite.  She had large, inquisitive green eyes that gazed upon Emeric with awestruck wonder.