Epilogue

Emeric watched the sun rise as he rode the motion of the ship. White water roared at the bow, sending occasional spashes up, spraying his face with salty mist. He took a deep breath of the fresh air that nourished his soul.

'This is what freedom feels like!' He mused mentally.

The ship climbed a gentle swell, surging through the ocean that couldn't hold the sturdy vessel back.

Emeric sighed as he leaned against the railing, gazing deep into the future. He couldn't quite fathom the vast openness as his mind brought up memories of the tight prison walls. The terror of the Dome felt all to raw in him, but as the mist tickled his face, he gradually felt his past drift away. All ties gradually loosened until they disappeared.

For the first time after he had been captured, he felt true relief wash through him. He didn't have to watch his own back, he didn't have to question any and everyone who came over his path, all he had to do was live his life.

He sighed sadly, remembering fallen comrades. Axel, who had comforted him through his first months of captivity, Jordy, whom he hadn't known all too well, but had always lightened the mood when the Dome's trauma became too over bearing...

'I'm sorry," Emeric whispered, thinking of everyone he'd let down. Starting with the first man he had killed to the last. Thinking of the promises he'd made, but failed to keep...of the comrades he'd hurt...Kedo, how he had pushed her away when she had needed him the most.

Finally, he thought of his mother. Her soft voice seemed to drift in the wind, comforting him as he thought of her death. He had failed to protect her, to be there for her even though she had always been there for him.

He lowered his gaze, watching the water below. His mother's song played in his head. He could hear her voice as clearly as if she was standing right next to him. He savoured the moment...the memories...

"I'm sorry Mom. I couldn't save you, I wasn't good enough. Maybe I'm still not, but I sure as hell am going to try. I'll protect everyone for you. I owe you that."

Emeric's silent promise drifted to the wind as Kedo joined him by the railing. She didn't say anything, just simply stared out at the vast, blue ocean that lay ahead. Emeric could see the emotions coiled up in her. He found himself smiling, for no apparent reason, as he gazed at the horizon.

Kedo's soft voice met Emeric's ears, surprising him. "Thank you." She said, barely louder than a whisper. Emeric turned so that he was facing her. His brow furrowed somewhat, "What for?"

Kedo met his gaze, "For everything...For always being there for me. For standing up for me and protecting me in the Dome."

Emeric's expresion softened, "Kedo,". He started, reassurance ringing in his voice. Kedo continued, "I just realised I never thanked you. You got hurt so many times just to keep me safe, even though I was a complete and total stranger. You didn't have to care for me, but for some reason you did and for that I can't thank you enough."

She turned away, gazing out into the ocean once more. Hiding silent tears...Emeric put an arm over her shoulder and pulled her close in a comforting half hug.

"Well Kedo, I wouldn't have made it if it weren't for you." Emeric said, going along with the heartfelt emotions that seemed to be doing the talking.

Kedo turned an amused look his way, trying to hide her smile, "That was so cheesy." She remarked.

Emeric rolled his eyes, turning away to hide the sudden blush that coloured his cheeks. "Whatever, I was about to be all nice and say that you gave me a reason to fight in there, but apparently you don't appreciate chivalry. So I'll just go ahead and say, 'yeah sure thing Kedo, getting thrown into a pit to fight for my life countless times to make your timely visit more luxurious was the greatest pleasure, I mean what are a couple of scars and near death experiences. Getting stabbed, cut and beaten...psh, no worries. As long as our dear Kedo is having a blast'. How about that?"

Kedo grinned, although there was a guilty glint in her eyes, "Better, but still a bit on the awkward side."

Eneric shook his head, knowing that, like he had learnt well enough from Aire, that he would never win an argument with the fairer gender. They had a way with words as he had a way with blades.

He turned his gaze back to the distance horizon. From his peripheral vision he saw Kedo do the same.

"So what now?" She asked after a much appreciated silence.

Emeric thought for a few seconds before speaking.

"Now we catch up. It's been a long time since either of us have been able to live, so now we do whatever we want for however long we want. There's nothing holding us back anymore. We have our whole lives in front of us. Our enemies tried writing our futures for us, but now we hold the pen of our lives. They simple wrote the introduction. So Kedo, the real question that you should be asking yourself isn't 'what now?' It should be 'what's next?'."

Kedo nodded slowly as she took in his words.

"And Kedo, remember to be loyal to your future, not you past."

They both stood in silence, waves lapping against the side of the ship, mist spraying their faces.

The sun shone down on them with new hope, and that was when Emeric realised that a fresh start was his for the taking, that he could become the man he had always seen on the distant horizon...his future self...the better part of him...

All he had to do was move on from his past, one step at a time.

Starting today.

*****

Townsfolk of Aredendale woke to the usual morning sounds of seagulls and the comforting lap of waves against the docked ships. Life moved slowly and people enjoyed the crisp morning air.

Drinking coffee and gazing over the horizon, the townsfolk savoured the peaceful morning.

However, the peace that hovered over the citizens didn't mirror the blind panic that was surging through the town's guard.

They were in deep trouble!

With the general's warship missing, they could all very well be living their last days. Without any hints of where the ship was off to, their hopes were dwindling.

The only meagre clue that remained as a last hope was a trail of blood and the ragged body of the young Chayran who had been on duty.
By the look of it, Nedes had never stood a chance...

The attackers had long since disappeared along the dark downward spiral of revenge...

————————————————————————

Aaannddd...
That's it, the final chapter of The Forgotten Rogue.
If you're reading this, I want to thank you for coming all this way with me. I wouldn't have been able to come this far without you guys, as cheesy as that sounds, its the truth! Thank you so so much.

A bit if good news. A second book will be coming, I can't tell you exactly when, however, keep an eye out for another Emeric adventure.

This book is simply a rough draft and before I start with book 2, I first have to do some fine tuning and editing on this one.

But once again, thank you so so much!!

And sorry for the cliffhanger, you know me. I couldn't resist.