Chapter 26

A shocked silence betook the crowds when the Lachand Domer fell dead. No one had expected the Eliminator from Scoalgeoc to defeat the brilliant warrior, however, now Nedes stood over the dead body, the victorious winner of the battle.

Nedes raised his blood stained weapon above his head and the crowds went wild with cheers that made the ground tremble. He savoured the moment of praise, it was the only few moments where he was able to feel anything different than a prisoner.

After a few minutes, the corpse was removed and Nedes was lead back to the waiting cell where Emeric paced nervously. He knew that he would be put into the Dome next and from what he'd seen so far, the opponents weren't going down easily.

Emeric looked at Nedes with concern as the juvenile sank to the ground against the cool wall, clutching a bleeding side.

"Are you alright?" Emeric asked. Nedes raised a surprised look up at the Rogue, "Why wouldn't I be?" He asked through gritted teeth. Emeric just shook his head as his eyes traveled back to the Dome. Guards were already putting the chains up again and bring new weapons out.

"You better not die." Nedes said as a guard came for Emeric. The Rogue shot an amused grin in Nedes's direction, "Are you sure you're alright. Last time I checked you wished me dead." Nedes scoffed, but returned the amused grin.

The crowds went wild as Lachand's last opponent strode into the Dome as if he owned the place. The spectators obviously adored him as they started chanting his name loud enough for the entire city to hear. However, most of the city's inhabitants were presently watching.

The chants however died down into shocked silence when Emeric was lead out of the cell and into the light. The only sound that could be heard was the soft padding of feet as he walked to the chain.

"Beast." A traveling voice cried from the stands and like an eruption, the spectators started hurling insults at Emeric. He blocked the hurtful words out, focusing only one the present and what he had to do. He couldn't think about the past, Jordy's death, or even what the future might hold. He solely had to focus on the moment.

A soft click drew his attention as the chain was locked onto his cuff. He breathed deeply, controlling the rush of adrenaline in him. He glanced at the weapon on the ground and an unexpected smile crept over his face. A strung bow with three arrows lay a few feet away. Emeric's favorite weapon.

The starting horn blew...

Emeric was up the chain within a few seconds and undid the lock in half that time. He dropped back to the ground with the stealth of a cat, rolling once to soften the landing. Emeric grabbed hold of the bow and took the three arrows in his shooting hand.

His opponent had released himself just as swiftly and also had his weapon in hand. He lifted the bow, and pulled back on the taught cord, already sighting his target on Emeric. The Rogue however was moving towards his opponent, his bow by his side.

The crowds shouted occasional encouragement towards the Lachand Domer, but most of them were silent with anxiety.

Emeric watched with a hawks eye as his opponent released the arrow. It sailed swiftly and cleanly through the air, however, it had to travel quite a distance before reaching its target, giving Emeric a second to twist out of the way. The arrow grazed across his bare chest, leaving a small red, bleeding line in its departure.

Emeric dismissed the wound and starting running towards his opponent now. The rival had already drawn another arrow, and after swiftly sighting, he drew back on the cord and released the might bow.

Emeric, knowing that he was up against a master archer dove forward into a roll. The arrow flew over his head. As Emeric came up from the swift roll, he had an arrow on the string and the bow was drawn back halfway. In a split second, whilst kneeling, he drew the cord back and released his first projectile.

The Lachand Domer leapt to the side, easily evading Emeric's attack. He laughed mockingly at the young Etreshian. However, little did he know that Emeric hadn't shot the arrow with the intention of hitting any target. He had simply been testing his opponent.

The Lachand shot his last arrow at Emeric, but the Rogue rolled to the side, out of the arrows trajectory.

Before the Lachand could see if his target had hit home or not, Emeric drew, sighted and released another arrow. His opponent, seeing the arrow's departure leapt to the side once more, the same side he had leapt to the previous time.

By doing so he killed himself...

Emeric had aimed to the Domer's right, knowing that he would leap out of the way. He was right handed and therefore found it more instinctive to jump in that direction.

A pained grunt left the man's lips as the arrow buried itself in his chest. He silently fell to the ground, hands clutched around the shaft that had impaled him. His eyes were wide with shock, not grasping what had happened. A few seconds later, with a sigh of finality, he passed.

Emeric turned his back on the corpse. The Dome was lapsed with silence as none of the spectators believed what the had seen. The Rogue was the champion in the Dome.

Emeric appreciated the silence. He hated it when people praised him for taking another's life. However, he looked down at his hands and saw the remaining arrow. He slowly raised his eyes to the mass of spectators. After searching through the crowds a few times, his eyes landed on the pavilion set a bit higher than the stands. It was where the Dome Keepers sat in leisure.

Emeric placed his last arrow on the shaft of the bow, then in the blink of an eye he spun towards the pavilion, sighted Calvert, then released the tought bow string.

Calvert ducked down just in time when he noticed what Emeric had done. There was a loud thunking noise as the long shaft buried itself deep into the back rest of Calvert's chair. He stared that the projectile in horror, seeing how close he had come to loosing his life.

"Get him." Jaacesh ordered his guards who were already moving towards the corridors that would lead them down to the Dome.

"Wait." Said Calvert as he met the defiant eye of the Rogue down bellow.

Jaacesh glared at him in a questioning manner.

"Put him up against that giant of yours." Calvert suggested calmly.

A thin smile crossed Jaacesh's face, "If you wish to loose another Eliminator today, so be it." He ordered his guards away with a single hand gesture...

Emeric had no idea of what was coming...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there, hope you are enjoying the battle scenes...

I know this chapter was very short, I'll try and make the next one a bit longer with more action...

Please vote and leave a comment. Feedback is always highly appreciated.