Chapter 1: Forgotten Rogue Rewritten

The stag was a beautiful one. Its body rippled with strong muscles under the thick, glistening hide, showing signs of a succulent summer. It was stout, healthily so. It walked with a noble stride that demanded recognition. Tall antlers branched from the noble head like a mighty tree, signifying the stag's age and experience.

Gazing down an arrow shaft, Emeric noted all these facts. He recognised the coming of winter as the stag's calm breaths misted the air. Such a beautiful creature deserved to see all its winters. It shouldn't have to die because of another creature's greed. Emeric's thoughts were mangled as he pulled back on the thick cord, bow creaking under the pressure of 70 pounds of draw weight. His aim was precise, it always was. Years and years of training had given him the skill to shoot and never miss. To draw and hold the heavy draw weight without his shoulders tiring. And now, gazing at his target, all he had to do was release the tension on the bow with a simple twitch of his fingers and the arrow would strike the stag in the heart, killing it instantly.

He took a deep, calming breath to ease the racing of his heart. His eyes never left the target as it slowly strode by, 30 paces away. One wrong move would spook the large animal, sending it bolting off into the safe confines of the dense forest. However, as Emeric prepared to release the strained cord, blood flashed in his memory. The haunted, metallic stench tortured his nose. Gritting his teeth, Emeric adjusted his aim and shot the arrow. It struck a tree a few centimetres above the stag's head, right where he had aimed.

The stag bolted...

Emeric heard a disappointed sigh and turned to face Rayhan, his eyes downcast.

"There it goes," Rayhan looked empathetically after the stag as it disappeared from their view, "Lunch, and tomorrows, and the day after that and oh wait, did I mention lunch for the entire winter?" Rayhan spoke in a matter-of-fact tone of voice.

"I get it." Emeric grumbled, "Alright, I'm sorry."

"I hope you are apologising for losing lunch, not some other stupid reason."

Emeric grinned, "If I wasn't such a good son, I would say it's a blessing in disguise that we're not eating so much this winter. One of us can admittedly do with a bit less feeding." He stood up from his kneeling position, pulling the bow over his shoulder. Rayhan shook his head as he too got to his feet. "Careful." Rayhan warned daringly, "Who do you think you're spending the winter with? Because I'm considering a new roommate."

Emeric smiled stupidly, "Yeah right, like you know anyone who'd want to share a room with an old grump like you. But by all means Dad, go hunt. Just don't drag me along."

Rayhan snorted, "Oh don't worry I won't. There's nothing like a ninth time lucky. I should have stopped trying after the third time you spooked it off."

Emeric was secretly relieved but didn't let it show.

"On the same note. Go check the snares, I'll go after that lucky stag. Maybe if you bring something back, I'll consider reinstating you as my roommate."

The young Etreshian grinned gleefully, "Are you sure you'll be able to catch up with it, Old Man?" Emeric asked with playful mockery.

He barely managed to dodge a kick that had been aimed at his backside.

"Treading on a thin line there sonny. Wouldn't want a rogue arrow to catch you off guard, now, would we?" Although the words sounded serious, Emeric saw the humorous glint in his father's eyes.

"That would be very unfortunate, but I still hold my opinion about your age." Emeric challenged.

Rayhan raised an amused brow at his son's remark, "Just remember that the Alpha of the pack is much stronger than the whining pup." Rayhan stated proudly.