Chapter 61

A few seconds of uncomprehending silence passed as the words landed on Emeric's ears...

The color left his face as he fully registered what Zerret had  just said.  He staggered back, feeling as if a horse had trampled him.  The air refused to filter into his chest which had drawn shut with shock.  Perhaps it was betrayal or fear.

'Kedo's a girl?'  The thought almost made Emeric pass out.  'But...but how?

An evil chuckle drew Emeric's attention back to the prisoner tied up in front of him.  His teeth still red with blood.  It made him look even more malicious, more devilish...

For a second Emeric considered the fact that Zerret could just be saying this to mess with his head, but he doubted it. 

"By your reaction I take it you didn't know she is indeed a she." Zerret mocked.  "I have to say, I didn't recognize her at first. The look is quite convincing, but her readiness to betray me, her own brother, was the great reveal."

Emeric still found himself wordless, amusing Zerret even further.  Emeric turned away from the deserter.  He couldn't take Zerret's amused smile any more.  He didn't want to hear his mockery any more.  It only made the loaded truth heavier.

Emeric only realized that he had exited the tent when the glow of a camp fire lit up the path ahead.  He blinked a few times trying to clear the husk of disbelief from his eyes. He was stumbling through a dream, his body moving on its own accord, yet his mind couldn't make sense of what was happening.

He spotted the council standing by one fire, Rayhan clearly handing out orders.  Emeric mindlessly stumbled to them, standing in the outer ring of the circle.  "We'll storm them after midnight.  Kedo, if your intel is correct, no one will be guarding the prisoners at that time.  We get Hunter out, then we worry about capturing the master mind of this injustice."

A few heads nodded.

"I believe that things would have stayed the same, but it has been a few years, so I can't promise that no one will be watching." 

That voice...

Emeric looked up as Kedo spoke.  For the first time, Emeric noticed that Kedo's voice had a sandy rasp to it, hiding any feminine features.  It easily made him sound like a young boy. But then Emeric also came to the realization that Kedo wasn't supposed to sound like a young boy anymore.  He was 16 years old, his voice should have deepened by now.  'Her voice' Emeric mentally corrected himself...This was going to take getting used to.

"We need to keep this small yet sufficient,"  Rayhan continued, "Who'll volunteer?"

Both Radclyf and Malrick stepped forward with determination.  Rayhan nodded approval, they were his best warriors after all.  Rayhan spoke again, "Kedo, I want you to come with us too.  We need someone who knows the layout of their settlement."  Kedo nodded, though he...she looked nervous. 

Emeric instantly pushed to the center of the circle, "I'm also coming."  He declared, not leaving room for argument.  Rayhan gazed at his son, "You've had a rough day Emeric, I'd be more at ease of you sat this one out."  Emeric shook his head, yet to anyone who knew Emeric, it was evident that he was rattled. "No, I'm fine."

Rayhan seemed skeptical, but didn't have the mental strength to argue with Emeric. Hunter's life was on the line, they simply didn't have time to bicker.

"Alright, we set out in half an hour, get ready." Everyone dispersed at the words, but through the crowds Emeric met Kedo's questioning gaze. Once again Emeric felt the heavy loud of betrayal. He couldn't keep the frown from his face, however, when Kedo approached to question him about it, Emeric simply turned away and strode off to his tent.