Chapter 62

Emeric woke with a start as he hurdled himself into a sitting position. He swore loudly as he rubbed his temples. A torturous ache thundered in his head. A haunted look marked his face, not because of the pain in his body or the fact that he had once again been caught off guard, but because the face of his attacker belonged to Kedo.

Emeric blearily glanced at his surroundings, confused by the forest that met his gaze. It was still dark, but the soft glow hovering over the horizon hinted at the coming of dawn. A small campfire fought a loosing battle as the last few logs were diminished to ashes. An involuntary moan escaped his chest just as Rayhan came into his view.

Rayhan knelt down next to his son. "Are you alright?" he asked with fatherly concern. Emeric didn't pay any mind to him, his gaze grew haunted once more.

"Where's Kedo?" He demanded.

Rayhan mistook Emeric's question for concern. "He's alright. He's with Radclyf and the others." Rayhan gestured behind him where voices could be heard and the slight glow announced a second fire.

Rayhan noted the angered yet worried look that met Emeric's eyes.

"What's the matter?" He asked. Emeric was distracted for a few seconds before he faced Rayhan again, taking a breath to calm his tingling nerves.

"Kedo shot me. She's one of them. She must be." His words came out panicked. Rayhan frowned as he regarded what his son had said. "She?" he asked, the frown on his brow growing.

Emeric met his father's shocked gaze, "Didn't see that coming?" Emeric asked, "Well neither did I. Guess she was a back stabbing liar from the beginning. Everything was a lie. It was probably all part of a bigger picture to capture more Etreshians. The friendship, the loyalty...It was all a scheme to betray her own people." When Emeric realized he was ranting, he stopped himself.

Rayhan regraded his son with confusion clearly marking his face. Then realization dawned on him. "Emeric, Kedo has a sister. She's the one who shot you. Kedo had nothing to do with this. I promise. He's still the same kid you met all those years ago."

Although Rayhan's words brought some relief, Emeric still wasn't convinced. Kedo had lied about too much of his past. Trusting him again would take some time.

Rayhan stood up, holding out a hand to help Emeric to his feet. Father and son walked together to the remainder of their group. Emeric took in the two prisoners tied up against a tree. He had to do a double take when he thought one of them was Kedo, but realized it was the sister that Rayhan had told him about. The other was who he guessed to be the father.

Emeric spotted Kedo, who seemed to be busy treating Hunter's multiple abrasions. The latter was either sleeping or unconscious, but Emeric rejoiced in the fact that his cousin was safe. Kedo glanced up at Emeric on his arrival and gave him a greeting smile. Emeric ignored the gesture, not returning it as he sat down next to Malrick around the fire. He didn't see the hurt look on Kedo's face.

"So what happened?" Emeric questioned, not liking being kept in the dark. Rayhan also took a seat around the fire just as Radclyf started speaking. "After you were knocked out, we managed to capture those two and get the others out. But apparently, there are more hiding out there...More deserters." Emeric turned his gaze to Radclyf, shocked, "Who?"

Radclyf shrugged, "Kedo's mother. We tried finding out where she is but all we got out of those two," Radclyf gestured to the two prisoners, "Was that she was meeting up with the higher circle. We have no idea where they are or who they are, just..." Radclyf gazed at Rayhan, sharing a concerned look.

"What?" Emeric asked, shifting his gaze between the two of them.

Rayhan sighed, "The camp wasn't attacked because you let Nedes go." Emeric frowned, "But..." Rayhan cut him off, "Sarthen found Ariam. He told him of the settlement. The attack had nothing to do with you."