Chapter 40

Calvert's large desk fell over with a mighty crash as he stood up from his chair...His face portrayed pure fury.  "How could you let this happen?" He demanded through gritted teeth.  Darius stood in front of the fuming Dome Keeper.  He kept his head held high, despite the overwhelming urge to lower his gaze.

"They all got out of their cells before any of the guards could notice anything.  We also found a few sentries knocked out, presumably to prevent them from sounding the alarm."  Darius tried explaining, but deep down he knew that nothing he could say would calm the furious man standing across from him.

Calvert took a deep breath, but it did little to calm his anger.  "Who did we loose?" he questioned harshly.  Darius had feared the question.  If Calvert was mad now, he would be a raging bull after the news Darius was about to give him.

"A dozen were killed.  Three got out and the rest are injured, but we managed to lock them up again."  Calvert was silent...

It drove fear into the Captain of the guard.  He had expected the Dome Keeper to yell with fury, but instead he stood in dead silence...

"Who got out?" he asked after a couple of minutes slowly dragged by. 

"The Victor, Nedes.  And the two Rogues."

Calvert swore harshly and slammed a fist into the wall.  "So you let both of my best Domers just walk out of here.  As the captain of the guard, I can blame you for this slip up.  I could have your head for this." Calvert yelled furiously.  

Darius swallowed nervously, but he forced himself to hide the fear he felt.  "I understand this is a major set back, but I've already organized a hunting party to go after them." Darius explained.  Calvert raised his deranged eyes to meet the Captain's.

"You actually think you'll be able to catch the Rogue again?" Calvert's words stung with sarcasm.  Darius nodded his understanding, "No, I know I won't be able to, but how about the man who caught him the first time?" 

At this, Calvert got an interested glint in his eyes.  Darius gestured to the door where a guard stood waiting.  He swung the doors of the office open and ushered a group of men in.  They wore the familiar uniform of the Elite. 

Calvert watched the small party of men with mild interest, but he kept up his furious façade.  The leader of the group came to a halt beside the overturned desk.  He held out a hand to Calvert in greeting, "The name's Cart.  I heard you have a rat that needs catching." 

Calvert grasped the hand firmly and gave it a strong shake, "Dead or alive."

******

It took Emeric and Kedo nearly six hours to reach the forest.  The horse was exhausted.  He had been cantering all the way.  As the first two hours passed, Emeric had stopped for a few minutes, giving the loyal animal a chance to recover.  After that point they had stopped at hourly intervals.  Now they were a few kilometers into the thick woods, but the horse couldn't manage anything faster than a slow trot.  Emeric knew that if they didn't stop soon, the horse wouldn't make it. 

They stopped when they reached a small stream that ran through the thick trees.  The horse drank desperately with satisfying, sucking noises.  Emeric and Kedo dismounted and drank as well.  The older Rogue felt sympathy when he gazed at the elegant white horse.  He was drenched in thick, foamy sweat, his nostrils were flared with each quick breath it took and he stood with his head hanging low.

Emeric, coming to the conclusion that they would move faster on foot, decided to unsaddle the horse.  He hid the tack under water in the stream.  He knew that if they were being followed, the horse's footprints would lead the hunting party away from them.  However, if someone realized that the horse had been unsaddled, they would search for human footprints not hooves.