Chapter 13

Hyatt nervously twisted his fingers together under his desk as he gazed up at the wealthy man standing at the other side of the room.  He emitted complete authority and control...The notion made Hyatt nervous...Very nervous indeed.

Calvert, Dome Keeper of Scoalgeoc, was intimidating to most people in his presence.  It had something to do with the expressionless deadliness that marked his face.  He was taller than the average man and housed a large assortment of well toned muscles.  His size and strength was enough to bring silence to a large crowd of spectators.

He stood in the shadows, allowing them to hide him from the greedy, young Dome Keeper that sat in front of him.

Hyatt swallowed nervously, "Well?" He asked, but cringed when is voice came out as a squeak instead of steadily like he'd imagined it to sound. 

Calvert sighed irritably, "It certainly didn't go down the way I expected it to." He stated bluntly.  Hyatt laughed nervously, "We couldn't have foreseen the betrayal of the Domer."

Calvert stayed straight faced, feigning boredom.  "The Rogue only killed one man, quite disappointing...The whole purpose of the battle was to see how he held up when he was at a disadvantage."

Hyatt bit his lower lip as fret grasped at him, "But surly he showed his potential." he said tryingly.

Calvert remained straight faced, "That he did."

Hyatt let out an inward sigh of relief, "So...What do you think."

Calvert thought carefully before answering the question, "I think he's...perfect." Hyatt seemed to beam, "Will you be taking him?" 

Calvert nodded his head slowly, "How much?"

Hyatt took in the evident wealth of the older Dome Keeper as he considered his price.  "Five-hundred gold pieces." He said with the steadiest voice he could manage. 

For the first time since entering the room, Calvert stepped out of the concealing shadows.  His usually expressionless face portrayed pure anger, "You're trying to rob me." He stated accusingly.

Hyatt hastily shook his head, "No...no, not at all.  He's worth it...Trust me." Calvert looked even more displeased.  "I'll give three hundred...and not a penny more."  Hyatt's face saddened, "But..." He trailed off as he saw the stony expression on Calvert's face...He knew that when Calvert made up his mind, his decision was set in stone...There was no changing it.

"Fine." Hyatt said.

Calvert smiled inwardly, enjoying the victory...But he didn't let the pleasure he felt show on the outside.  Calvert turned to the door, preparing to exit, "My steward will sort out the payments.  Let someone bring the Rogue up to my escapade.  I'll be waiting outside."

"Yes, Calvert, I'll do that."

Before Calvert turned into the corridor he stopped, but without turning around, he said, "And Hyatt, I don't like waiting."

*****

Emeric ground his teeth together as he tried, but failed to ignore the pain that was ruling his back.  The adrenaline of the fight had worn out and the agony of the wound hit Emeric like a battering ram. 

He was back in his cell.  It had only been a few seconds since the guards had dumped him there, and already Emeric was starting to feel constricted by the confines of the minute cell.

He pressed his forehead against the cool stone wall.  The coolness only gave a momentary relief to the pain. Emeric savoured it while it lasted. Which wasn't long at all.  He wanted to sit down and lean against the wall, but his back wouldn't allow it in its injured state.