Chapter 64

In the early morning dew, Emeric stayed to the back of the crowd as the prisoners were lead towards the large fire that burnt in the center of the gathered crowd.  The council stood in the center by the fire, watching the prisoners critically.  None of them tried putting up a fight, it was useless. 

Rayhan addressed the crowds, "There are some of you gathered here today who would rather see these prisoners executed than simply receiving a brand, but there is a line that separates us from them. A very fine line that is easily crossed." Rayhan gestured at the prisoners.  "If we go about killing anyone who does us wrong, what makes us different from them?  We can't always give in to raw desire for revenge."

Rayhan turned to Ariam, gesturing him forward.  Radclyf was forced to push the Rogue forward when he didn't comply.  Ariam glared at Rayhan with immense hatred.  Emeric appreciated the binds that restrained the large man.  He knew that if Ariam hadn't been restrained, he would have attacked Rayhan.  Attacked, and possibly killed Rayhan.

"Ariam Kalinore,  if anyone deserves to hang, it's you.  You betrayed you own country men, sold off Etreshians as if they were slaves and you informed the Elites of our camp and therefore you were also found guilty for the deaths of our comrades."  Angered cries rang through the crowd. 

Rayhan walked to the fire and retrieved the branding iron.  The sight sent a throb through Emeric's neck as memories of his branding came to renewed life.  Memories that he had tried burying without success.

Ariam was forced to his knees.  Emeric watched Ariam for any signs of defiance, but the man remained in kneeling position.   However, Ariam's eyes landed on Hunter, taking in the variety of bruises that still marked his face.  An evil smile spread over his face, "I must say, I'm impressed.  I didn't expect you to be sane after our little chat."  The color left Hunter's face as Ariam spoke, his voice triggering Hunter in ways that were best left alone.  He gazed at Ariam, but failed to hide the haunted look that marked his face. 

Hunter's reaction earned a malicious laugh from the older Rogue.  Rayhan saw the tremor that ran through Hunter at the sound.  Uncomprehending anger ran through him at the sight.  He couldn't begin the think of what Ariam had done to Hunter to drive so much terror into the young man.  Rayhan angrily turned to Ariam, "Hold him." 

Emeric lowered his eyes as the glowing brand seared into Ariam's neck.  He did nothing to stop the punishment this time.  Ariam didn't deserve mercy.  He was a monster and deserved the pain he felt.  Yet, despite the evident agony that the searing metal caused him, he didn't cry out in pain, in its place, an angered moan rumbled from deep within his chest.

Zerret was next.  He, unlike his father tried putting up a fight, but he too was still sore after his session with Malrick and there was only so much he could do before Radclyf pushed him down into a kneeling position.  He was held firmly as Rayhan reheated the brand.  It was a matter of moments before it was pressed to his neck.  Despite Zerret's hardest efforts, he couldn't hold back the cry of pain. 

Emeric was growing uncomfortable.  The cries unsettled him and brought faces of fallen Domers to mind.  However, as they brought Harpe forward, Emeric turned and left.  He leaned heavily on his walking stick as he limped, but he couldn't muster up the courage to watch her get a brand. 

She looked too much like Kedo...

Even though he had gone quite a distance before she suffered the punishment, her cries still met Emeric's ears.  He tried reminding himself that she deserved it, that she had attacked him without second thought, but that didn't ease the guilt he felt for her pain.

Rayhan's voice met Emeric's ears after a long silence.  "Pack everything up, we're leaving within the hour."  Emeric's stomach churned at the thought of going to Etresh.  To be able to walk with his head held high, to be treated like a human being, to be accepted...the thought seemed surreal.  He had grown up under the discrimination of the world. His greatest imagination couldn't think of how it would be to be seen as an equal.  But it was all just a fantasy.  The brand on his neck had robbed any hopes of living peacefully from him.