Chapter 25

Nedes and Emeric stood silently behind the barred gate as the watched Jordy being lead into the  Dome.  There was an ominous click as the chain was locked onto his cuff and a short sword was placed a few feet away from him, just out of reach, as always.

Jordy's bare chest rose and fell with even breaths as he forced himself to remain calm.  Calvert had told them to remove their shirts...apparently it attracted more spectators.  Emeric highly doubted the theory...he felt naked and uncomfortable.

Emeric, locked behind the bars, felt unsettled to be watching a dome fight.  It was his first time.  The thought that one of the two men in the dome were about to die sent chills through him.  Because all he could do was stand and watch...His instinct was to go in there and prevent blood from being spilled...

The starting horn blasted, a high pitched, almost squealing note rather than the mournful one at Scoalgeoc.

Jordy acted instantly, flicking at the chain.  It only took him three tries before the hidden strength in his arms managed to get the chain off of the hook.  He hastily grabbed the key and fumbled at the lock.  It took him a few tries to undo the chain as his hands shivered with the rush of adrenaline. 

"Come on, Jordy." Nedes called out encouragingly through the bars. 

With a rusty click, the lock was released and the chain fell to the ground like a dead snake.  Jordy shot a smirk towards Nedes and then grabbed his weapon and charged at his opponent who had gotten loose a few seconds before him. 

He was a huge, strong man, apparently in his thirties.  He too had a short sword, but in his grasp, the weapon looked more like a dagger.

When Jordy reached his opponent, he looked like a dwarf.  The man was utterly massive, beyond anything natural.  Jordy swallowed nervously and he tightened his grip on his weapon.  Sweat was already starting to trickle down his back.

The crowds were cheering now.  The majority of them were from Lachand and therefore their cheers were directed to the giant.

"Manslayer...manslayer...manslayer..."

The nickname was quite disheartening...

The immense shouting set the ground quivering.  The words echoed off of the glass dome above and increased the volume ten fold.

As Jordy came within reach of the huge Domer, the giant sliced down with his blade, splitting the air.  Jordy leapt forward, into a roll and, like he had planned, ended up behind his opponent.

"Good move." Nedes muttered next to Emeric.  The Rogue could clearly see that Nedes was worried for his friend's life.  "He'll be alright." Emeric said with as much conviction as he could manage, but his voice held the doubt he was feeling.  Nedes shot Emeric a glare, but there was no contempt in it.  It appeared almost thankful, as if Nedes appreciated Emeric's attempt to make him feel more at ease.

Jordy sprang to his feet and managed to land a savage slash on the giants thigh before the Domer turned around.  With a bellow of fury, the immense warrior swung a deadly cut at Jordy.  He brought his own sword up to block the blow, but the power behind it was too much for Jordy to handle.

He was lifted clean off of his feet and flew through the air before landing in a crumpled bundle a few feet away. 

With wide eyed shock, Jordy clambered back to his feet, facing the approaching opponent.  The giant swung his blade at Jordy once more.  Jordy repeated his roll, which had been successful the previous time, however, this time the giant was expecting it and he savagely kicked out at Jordy.